Eye Care Community
Optic nerve - Glaucoma - Oncomodulin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Optic nerve - Glaucoma - Oncomodulin

My cousin had optic nerves damaged cause from glaucoma and he has pressure in the eyes . He made some surgeryies to lower this pressure . However, my question , I want to know what can repair the damage happens in the optic nerves ? And I heard about a protein called oncomodulin what medication should I get ? And from where do I buy it please ?
Damage to the optic nerve from glaucoma can not be reversed.  I am not aware of the medication you mentioned.

Dr. O.
There's no vitamin can help healing ? :S and please check this site http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2006/may/15/medicineandhealth.lifeandhealth1
http://www.rndsystems.com/cb_detail_objectname_SU06_Oncomodulin.aspx
I am asweel interested in this medicine. I have red they made experiments at the Boston University, and now they are at some kind of stage. Is is alreadyavailable as a medicine? It's been six years since the experiment has started.
Dr Larry Benowitz at Boston Children's Hospital is busy working on full length axons regeneration (I believe also using Oncomudulin). Currently he has achieved only partial length regeneration of axons, so they do not go the full length towards the visual cortex, which is the holy grail in this research. It was done in vitro and with mice. I corresponded briefly with him, and he made clear he was not rthere yet by far nor anyone else. Another option to look at to help cope, is Dr Sheila Nirenberg's of Cornell unqiue prosthetic retina. She succesfully did it with mice and she wrote me she just started testing on monkeys. Human trials will be of course more complex. It is not for totally atrophied optic nerves (yet, but I believe she is also looking into that), but will work if there are still retinal ganglion cells to activate, which she stimulates with an enzyme gene therapy. See http://www.ted.com/talks/sheila_nirenberg_a_prosthetic_eye_to_treat_blindness.html   and http://weill.cornell.edu/news/releases/wcmc/wcmc_2012/08_13_12.shtml
And if you want a 'Whos Is Who' list on optic nerve regeneration research, maybe this Sept 2012 program of a workshop on Regenrative Medicien in Glaucoma is a good start. The top researchers were there. https://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/regenerativemedicine2012/preliminary.html
My husband was diagnosed with a tumor in the sphenoids (Plasmacytoma).  Essentially his tumour was between the eye sockets in a cavity spreading behind the left eye where he was experiencing double vision (this is when he first became aware the issue).   He had 28 days of Radiation in December 2012 finished late Jan 2013.   He was told the Plasmacytomia would eventually become a myloma and spread throughout his body.   January 2015 will be two years since treatment.   He has had numerous MRIs which as yet nothing detected in his body.   He has been having six monthly checks with an Eye specialist last appointment was 29 Oct 2014.   At this appointment he was told that there appears to be slight nerve damage which was not detected previously.  We believe that as we were told the Radiation may cause issues which would not be evident immediately it’s a case of wait and see.   He also informed my husband that there was nothing they could do that he will notice his peripheral vision diminishing and that when this starts to happen to go back but essentially they could do nothing to treat it or stop if from happening.  He also said not sure how bad it will get once again it is wait and see.   My question is, I found an article that mentions Dr Benowitz discovering a treatment with a protein, called oncomodulin that could potentially assist with regrowimg nerve damage in conditions resulting from tumours etc.   This article was written in 2006.  Would you be able to find out if this research has progressed any further and if this can help? Or if there is anything we can do to prevent the nerve damage from getting any worse?  from ConVic