Eye Care Community
Optic nerve damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Optic nerve damage

I am from India. I have gone thru all the postings and my case is similar to some. I met with an accident around 15 years back in which the Optic nerve of my right eye got damaged and as a result I am having blurred vision in my right eye. I had consulted all the major eye specialists in the best of places in India previously but not now for the last maybe 7 years. I do not have any problem with my left eye which I keep checking up at intervals. My query is, technology is developing so many things detrimental to the destruction of mankind so why not something is being developed to resolve this issue of Optic nerve damage? I need your help in this doctor.
There are hundreds of researchers doing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of research all over the world on optic nerve regeneration. The optic nerve is brain tissue. Brain tissue does not try and regenerate when cut (like the spinal chord). When they can restore use to paralysed arms and legs from a cut spinal chord we may be able to help optic nerve injuries better.

JCH MD
My Son age 14 years old has a problem in Optic Nerve during taking treatment on (fit) problem via Ketogenic Diet at P.D.Hinduja Hospital,Mumbai. Now MRI report sohwing that his Optic Nerve is Srink abnd there is no medical treatment.Before Six yeas agop his eyesight was absulutely  perfec but now he cant see properly, Rightnow is studing in Std.7th . I has been taken many Eye specialist opinion they said there is no problem in his eyes.Now I asking to the medical technology what is the treatment on his problem.
My Son named Sumedh Sanjay Khobragade age 14 years old has a problem in Optic Nerve during taking treatment on (fit) problem via Ketogenic Diet at P.D.Hinduja Hospital,Mumbai. Now MRI report sohwing that his Optic Nerve is Srink abnd there is no medical treatment.Before Six yeas agop his eyesight was absulutely  perfect but now he cant see properly, Rightnow is studing in Std.7th . I has been taken many Eye specialist opinion they said there is no problem in his eyes.Now I asking to the medical technology what is the treatment on his problem.I am ready for any treatment,any where

Sanjay - 9221304102
You say many eye specialists say his eyes have no problem; then you say MRI shows optic nerve "shrinks?". Do you mean optic nerve hypoplasia? If so there is no treatment for that and every effort should be made to protect the other eye from injury or damage. He should be able to live a normal life and be a great student with one normal eye.

JCH MD
I had a craniotomy at J.Hopkins,word was that I had a lot of brain fluid. Actually it was watery and dripping from my nose. Doc's told me No,not possible for this to happen. Well? http://www.belgeinfo.com/joe-nagy-brain-fluid-leaking-arizona-man-loses-a-teaspoon-of-his-brain-25334-2013/
My visual cut is watery...it moves...it's like debris moving around. Your thoughts?
1. cerebro-spinal fluid draining from the nose is not unusual. It can happen after trauma/injury or after a number of different type of surgeries (nose, sinus, eye socket, brain, etc.)
2. I don't understand your second to the last sentence.

JCH MD
Hi doctor, my brother recently meet in an accident. doctor said his eye pressure is normal but he got compression on his optic nerve. is there any treatment for him?
It really depends on how severe the compression is and how long ago it happened. Acutely with severe facial/head trauma if there is fracture of the bones through which the optic nerve passes and the fracture is amendable to relieving the pressure surgery is sometimes done. It frequently cannot be done or is not successful.  Acutely sometimes IV steroids are used to reduce swelling.

If it has been weeks to months since the accident and he has some damage due to "traumatic optic neuropathy" the damage is likely permanent and no treatment is likely.  However I would suggest a second opinion from another ophthalmologist and only a Eye MD actually looking in the eye can tell you for certain.

JCH MD
Doctor this accident happened two weeks ago. the doctor said the compression of optic nerve is due to facial bone fracture. The doctor did operation for him because of facial bone fracture. they said it is no treatment for this.doctor, I check through Internet there is a treatment called stem cell transplant. can this treatment can help him to get back his eye sight?  
The short answer is generally no.  As I said get a second opinion when he's doing better. REMEMBER his most important eye is the uninjured eye. It needs to be examined as soon as possible to be sure its healthy. He needs to protect it from injury and eye disease and he needs to live a healthy, careful lifestyle to prevent disease such as diabetes that can damage his good eye.

JCH MD
Ok thanks doctor
Someday that may be possible so don't give up hope but no likely soon.  Right now protecting the remaining eye is paramount

JCH MD
Thanks doctor
=