Optic nerve damage
What are the symptoms of optic nerve damage? Does opthamologist check for optic nerve damage when they dilate and check your eye?
You would have a visual loss or field loss.  An ophthalmologist looks at the nerve but a subtle nerve damage is easy to overlook.

Dr. O.
  Hello:  I have found in the past help with issues. Here goes, when I was a child I had a fish hook in my left  eye. It healed and I enjoyed great eye sight until my 30's when I prescribed eye glassed for distance. Since then in my forties I was in a serious car accident. I had no idea that it could damage my eye sight. Apparently, I have optic nerve damage in my left eye. I read that there is research that is working to repair optic nerve damage (it is the same research that should also help spinal injuries). My question what should I do to protect my eye. I have an upcoming return to see my opthamologist and he will perform 4 more tests which will help him with his diagnosis. Has anyone else out there had optic nerve damage from a car accident? What will happen to me as I age?
Thanks for sharing.  My eye doc initially thought I may have no pressure glaucoma.
i`m from Pakistan. i lost my eye vision 7 year ago because of some soiling and pressure cause.so now doctor says that the optical nerve is totally damage. still so many soiling and pain in my right eye. i cant survive any more like that.so any where is proper treatment please contact to me. either send me email ayaz_mangrio***@****.