Eye Care Community
Optical Nerve Damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Optical Nerve Damage

My Father is 61 year old and lost his one eye after an eye operation, he was suffering from glaucoma, the first eye has turned dry and green and also shrinked. Now after an year he also lost the vision from his second eye due to optical nerve damage. He is diabatic, Is there any cure or any treatment to get his vision back, Please advice? We live in India and I've been looking for his treatment across the world. I have seen articals saying the research is happening to repair the optical nerve somewhere in US however not sure if the research is complete and sucessfull. Please help !!

Amit Kumar
India -
If you have seen several ophthalmologists in India and they have not been able to do anything for him it is very unlikely that traveling to any place else in the world would be helpful. Indian ophthalmologists are very skilled. There is not much new or encouraging about optic nerve damage repair.
JCH MD
Two month ago,my mother (ages 51) whom start sees thing blur n start c black shadow in her right eye.I bring herto opthalmologist n he had given my mom to put in nevanac eyes drop. After one week later, v saw opthalmologist again n he told us that d there is blood clot inside d eyes due to d nerve nearby eyes had damaged and the condition was more worst than previous time.then v find few opthalmologist n some had suggest to do d operation to correct back d damage nerve but d probablities of seeing back is only 5 percentage while some says not need to do operation because id operation it will affect another eye.i' m kind of dilemma and how shall i do.can someone who give me advice?is it neccssary to do xray of mmr?
Sorry this is not enough detail to answer your question. It's too vague.

JCH MD