Optical Nerve Damage
My Father is 61 year old and lost his one eye after an eye operation, he was suffering from glaucoma, the first eye has turned dry and green and also shrinked. Now after an year he also lost the vision from his second eye due to optical nerve damage. He is diabatic, Is there any cure or any treatment to get his vision back, Please advice? We live in India and I've been looking for his treatment across the world. I have seen articals saying the research is happening to repair the optical nerve somewhere in US however not sure if the research is complete and sucessfull. Please help !!

Amit Kumar
India -
If you have seen several ophthalmologists in India and they have not been able to do anything for him it is very unlikely that traveling to any place else in the world would be helpful. Indian ophthalmologists are very skilled. There is not much new or encouraging about optic nerve damage repair.
JCH MD
Two month ago,my mother (ages 51) whom start sees thing blur n start c black shadow in her right eye.I bring herto opthalmologist n he had given my mom to put in nevanac eyes drop. After one week later, v saw opthalmologist again n he told us that d there is blood clot inside d eyes due to d nerve nearby eyes had damaged and the condition was more worst than previous time.then v find few opthalmologist n some had suggest to do d operation to correct back d damage nerve but d probablities of seeing back is only 5 percentage while some says not need to do operation because id operation it will affect another eye.i' m kind of dilemma and how shall i do.can someone who give me advice?is it neccssary to do xray of mmr?
Sorry this is not enough detail to answer your question. It's too vague.

JCH MD
I had an injury via blunt trauma to the eye, which resulted in retinal detachment and damage to the optic nerve 4 month ago. Initially the doctor was treating the resulting hyphema with steroids, but now has suggested enucleation as the final resort.

Is there really nothing that can be done or explored??
Yes, get a second and third opinion. If the eye is not painful it might be possible to leave it.  There is  much work being done on artificial eyes with one called Argus 2 now in use for some cases (yours would not be a good candidate.  Some day it might be possible to salvage some vision.

ALSO don't forget to take super good care of your remaining eye. Protecting from injury, disease, lead a healthy lifestyle, don't smoke, have regular eye exams regular physical exams and you should probably wear protective glasses all times even if your good eye not need glasses. If you do anything like mow yard you need industrial type protective eye shields

There is a book, out of print, you can buy on ebay or Google called "A Singular View" the art of seeing with one eye. It would be worth purchasing and reading.