Eye Care Expert Forum
Orbit fractures, numb face...

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Orbit fractures, numb face...
CT scan revealed 3 non displaced fractures on my left orbit.  One spicule (sp?) floating in the orbit.  Doc says it will heal normally with no intervention.  Thing is, my face is still numb from roughly the lower eyelid down to my upper left lip.  This is day 3.   My eye has full movment and works fine.  I'm starting to feel "itches" in he numb areas on occasion, in one spot on my cheek in particular.

is all this normal, or am I going to have numb face FOREVER..hehe
Three days is hardly forever. Generally most of the sensation returns over 3-6 months. Be glad you don't need orbital surgery.

JCH III MD
I'm assuming that since I have non displaced fractures nothing moved in which case nothing could have moved a nerve and or pinched it.  Which tells me that it's just a bruised nerve and/or swelling around the nerve that is cutting it off.  I hope? I'm just scared dudes...I fell from like 9 feet up.
The contents of the orbit may not have been displaced down but the fracture damaged the nerve which runs along the egg shell thin bone below the eye.

Be patient. It will take time. In my experience most or all of it comes back feeling normal.

JCH III MD
Thank you very much for your response, it makes me feel much better.  It tingles more and more every day.
---------------------