Eye Care Expert Forum
Orbit fractures, numb face...
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Orbit fractures, numb face...

CT scan revealed 3 non displaced fractures on my left orbit.  One spicule (sp?) floating in the orbit.  Doc says it will heal normally with no intervention.  Thing is, my face is still numb from roughly the lower eyelid down to my upper left lip.  This is day 3.   My eye has full movment and works fine.  I'm starting to feel "itches" in he numb areas on occasion, in one spot on my cheek in particular.

is all this normal, or am I going to have numb face FOREVER..hehe
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
Three days is hardly forever. Generally most of the sensation returns over 3-6 months. Be glad you don't need orbital surgery.

JCH III MD
5 Comments
Blank
I'm assuming that since I have non displaced fractures nothing moved in which case nothing could have moved a nerve and or pinched it.  Which tells me that it's just a bruised nerve and/or swelling around the nerve that is cutting it off.  I hope? I'm just scared dudes...I fell from like 9 feet up.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
The contents of the orbit may not have been displaced down but the fracture damaged the nerve which runs along the egg shell thin bone below the eye.

Be patient. It will take time. In my experience most or all of it comes back feeling normal.

JCH III MD
Blank
Thank you very much for your response, it makes me feel much better.  It tingles more and more every day.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
---------------------
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank