Eye Care Expert Forum
Orbital Cellulitis or Conjuctivitis ?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Orbital Cellulitis or Conjuctivitis ?
Woke up yesterday and the white of my eyes were deep red, eyelids swollen, green/yellow discharge..Have had some recent history with phlebritis..and also lacrimal duct blockage but nothing serious. Went to optometrist (no optho avail on sat) gave me quick exam, slit lamp etc. and told me conjuctivitis. Gave me ZYMAR....Today eye still looks the same. Just really red, watery, lids slightly puffy...No fever or other symptoms other than WORRY !!!  Should I head to the ER to rule out cellulitis ? Never even came to my mind until I was reading the Web last night...Please help I'm nervous as heck !!!  TY
Orbital cellulitis is fortunately much less common that conjunctivitis. With orbital cellulitis many people are extremely ill, toxic, feverish, difficulty moving eye, etc. It's a pretty dramatic picture. The history of lacrimal duct blockage is concerning however because of the possibility of developing a tear sac infection (dacryocystitis). If you have severe redness, tenderness, elevation and pain of the tissue at the inner part of the lower lid (over the tear sac) then I would consider going to the ER.

If its just red, vision is okay, and matters you can use your Zymar (which is a hugely powerful antibiotic). Be sure you take it as directed which is usually 6 times/day for 2 days then 4 times/day.

JCH MD
I meant just my left eye !!!!
Thank you for your reply...just got back in from the Eye & Ear Infirmery here in Boston and the diagnosis was "viral conjuctivitis" plain and simple...The concern of the lacrimal duct will be deal with once the infection clears which they said could run from 1-2 weeks....