Orbital Cellulitis??
Thursday - 8/21 woke with grainy red irritated eyes, Appt. with Opthamologist, just did OCT/eye exam as scheduled, no attention to redness and irritation. Friday 8/22 - Called Dr. explaining symptons, prescribed steroid eye drops, used for two days, eyes inflamed and pain in movement. Sunday 8/24- Went to Emergency Care Center, signs of Sinus infection along with eyes getting worse - taken off steroids - administered antibiotics oral and drops. Monday 8/25 - eyes on fire watery clear discharge - crusting every nite. Another Appt. with different Opthamologist. Discontinue drops - given new antibiotic. Tuesday 8/26 - CT done, put on IV Antibiotic for three days, diagnosed as Orbital Cellulitis with no other indication for it's reason - no absesses etc. sinuses ok. Friday 8/29 - Released to return to work - woke with completely blurred vision as if looking through wax paper, rainbow halos around lights. Up to this point, my vision had been fine just blurred by the seepage of fluids but would clear with a few blinks or eye wiping. Saturday - 8/30 woke with the same vision problem. Eyes feel much better still red and still seeping, taking an oral antibiotic for the next two weeks. I don't understand all of this and am concerned with all the Mis-diagnostics. The fluid is still clear but sticky, eyes are very red and bloodshot, the pain is aleveated but the vision problem really has me concerned and I am getting to the point I do not trust anyones opinion. This all started only because my vision has improved and I needed to get my glasses changed. I am a 53 year old female. Any ideas on this?
Orbital cellulitis is a potentially extremely serious problem that can require hospitilazation, extended IV antibiotics and has a risk of menegitis/death.

If you have had a major change in your symptoms or vision you need to call IMMEDIATELY your treating physicians.

JCH MD
I did contact the Eye Clinic where I saw the Opthamologist, and found that the Dr. I was seeing was oncall. They put me thru to her and I explained all my symptons. Apparently she didn't see the urgency in this matter as she said she would see me first thing Tuesday morning. She asked how the redness and swelling was in my eyes, and I told her that had greatly improved, but I still have the stickyness while sleeping, and watering of both eyes. I told her about the blurred vision and color halos and change in vision. She indicated I may now have cornea irritation.
If you develop fever, chills or the appearance dramatically worsens go to an ER.

JCH MD
I am finally through the journey, after the diagnosis of Orbital Cellulitis, the Ophthamologist then informed me I had Membranous Conjunctivitis and treatment included three drops of Pred Forte three times a day, Restatis twice a day, and an antibiotic salve at night. The infection has finally cleared but with my last visit on Wednesday, October 8th. The Dr. made the comment that she has "no idea" how the infection started.

My question to you, and please believe I am not trying to put you into a corner. I just need an honest answer. On 8/14 when I went for the original exam, the O.D. Doctor who examined me was about 1 1/2 hours late in getting to his patients, when he did my exam I noticed upon the completion of all exams after that the one thing he did not do.
The equipment that is used to measure the pressure, not the puff thing but the blue light thing, he didn't wipe it off with an alcohol swab. Six days later I had infections in both eyes. Every visit after, the equipment was always wiped. When the blue light is put to your eye, does it actually come in contact with your eye???

Thank you,
Penny Kolls
Yes the blue light thing is called a Goldman applanating tonometer and it does touch the eye.

While the tip is sterilized daily it is not the custom of Eye MD s  or optoms to sterilize with alcohol after each use. The reason is that residual alcohol or disinfectant is more of a problem than potential infections.

HOWEVER: an eye that is infected is not applanated, all red eyes that are tested have the tip disinfected or a new sterile tip put on.

Eye infections spread by Eye MD office or optom offices are rare indeed.

JCH MD