Eye Care Community
Outter Corner of Eye Wet/Itchy? Puffy Eyelid-HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I have sort of an odd question.  For the past 2 years or so, my right upper eyelid looks a bit swollen.  It isn't tender to the touch or anything, it just looks a tiny bit swollen compared to the left eye.

Now here is where I want to mix it up a bit. My fiance (She's Female, I am Male) has allergies, and she is constantly wiping her eyes and rubbing them. I would say that one of her eyelids is more swollen than the other as well.

She always seems to be wiping the outer sides of the corner of her eyes. What is odd is that I got that exact same wetness in the outer corner of my eyes once or twice recently. This isn't like the inside corner of your eye, instead it is the outer corner and it is very annoying. For me it usually passes in a day. I've only experienced it once or twice, but I see she is constantly wiping her eyes.

I've asked the eye doctor his thoughts and he said my eyelids seem to produce more oil than regular, although it wasn't something I should be worried about. He gave me eyelid scrubs that I tried for a bit, but didn't stick to them.

My Fiance says her doctor says it is her allergies, because she gets allergies quite bad since she still has dogs at her house. I try to explain to her that I will feel that exact same feeling but she takes offense and gets upset when I tell her that I think we should both look into it further in case there is something more to the story.

I know it sounds weird, but I swear it is more than allergies, and that there is something more there than we both think.  Is there anything that can make one eyelid be a bit puffier, and also make the outter corner of the eye feel wet. I sometimes feel like she is contagious and giving me some type of bacteria/virus, or some other sickness.

I know this is an odd one, but can anyone share their opinion?
Its highly unlikely that her problem of the eyes/lids is causing your problems. You were apparently diagnosed with blepharitis while hers is DX allergy.

I would suggest seeing a Eye MD cornea/external disease specialist. Find one near you at www.aao.org

She may want to do the same thing. And consider a cat or a goldfish for her next pet.

JCH MD
Thanks for the reply.

Are there any conditions that specifically make the outter corner's of your eyes water, versus the inner corners?  Also, is there any condition that would make only one eyelid stay swollen instead of both for an extended period of time?
No there is no diagnositic things for inner vs outer corner.

JCH MD
Went to the doctor and they said that they didn't see anything other than possibly a little bit of allergies.  They prescribed pataday but I still haven't went and filled the prescription.

Seems like my eyes aren't as bad as when I posted this, but something definitely feels different still.
Do some "watchful waiting" see what happens, if something new develops or it gets worse go back or see a different ophthalmologist.

JCH MD