Eye Care Community
Over-the-counter eye drops

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Over-the-counter eye drops

Dear Eye Physician:

I recently used eye drops (Systane Preservative Free) and I developed an eye infection.  The doctor had to prescribe a antibiotic-steroid drop and bacitracin for my eyes to get rid of the infection.  I'm finally over the infection.  I'm afraid to use anymore eye drops for dry eyes.  What do you suggest as I already take fish oil and flax seed oil.

Thank you
hsum4
Today I treated 4 eye infections. None of them had used dry eye drops.  You didn't get the infection from Systane.   Eye infections are like catching a cold, there are many ways to get it and sometimes you don't know where you got it. DRY EYES PREDISPOSES TO EYE INFECTIONS.

Use the search feature and read the many detailed posts about dry eyes.

JCH MD