Eye Care Community
PVD, lattice, holes - flashing lights

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

PVD, lattice, holes - flashing lights

Hello I have another question. I am high myopic more than -20D. Iam 19 year old. And I am so stressed. Recently i started to notice flickering light like if u record a old television with a camera. I noticed that this happens when i lay down or when i put my head down. Then it last i dont't know like 10 - 30 minutes then if i am calm it flow away. and its very interesting because if i shake my hade in a certain way its flows away.

My retinal specialist checked my eyes and noticed a PVD in both eyes. But in my right eye I started PVD like 2 years ago. But i never noticed this flashing before. He also said that there in no holes in my retina. And that i have lattice degeneration but seems not progressed since my last check-up. I think is getting worse, but my doctor said its not a retina issue becouse also my vision is not worse. Can it be PVD? are those symptoms related to lattice degeneration?

My myopia is not progressing since my 15. Can at certain point started to progress quickly or it's not common?

thnx =)
I suspect you may be having visual migraines. I suggest you see a general ophthalmologist or neuro-ophthalmologist. Use the search feature and archives and read about eye or ophthalmic migraine.

There is no way to be specific about further progression of your myopia. Generallly if it stops changing over two or three years it does not change a lot more.

JCH MD

JCH MD
I read about migrains a lot but as i read they are not related to moving of the head. It happens ALWAYS if i lay down... so if i am lying the whle day i would see this the whole day.... I am so afraid that it could be the retina but iam visiting the best doctor around here, i am not form USA. and he controlled my retina twice. Can migrains happen due to head movement?

sorry if i am so annoying but i am very scared cuz my myopia is very uncommon and i am afraid to become blind. now i started to study computer engeenering and i am very good at it. I dont want to turn blind what i am gonna do, recently i dont see any bright future. Before a month ago i went to my ophthalmologist every 3 month and he said that everything would be fine, that i am under good care.. To live my life normal and to avoid head trauma and everything would be ok... But recently those lights appeard and i started to search on the web. And than i found about degenerative myopia and people complaining that they become blind... It scared me a lot. Everybody says no one knows what would happen ect. i just cant make peace with myself. I just want to see and do stuff I study and live a normal life.... people around me try to consol me that the technology is advancing and that will repair my vision but i dont belive in thinghs that are not real yet, because this is just guessing.... sorry for bothering and again thanks a lot....
I am sorry i think i was not specific enough... When i lay down i alwas see this flickering light. or if i move my head down or if i put my hands on my eyes.... if i calm down sit or stand without moving it lasts like 10 or 20 minutes and than disapear... if i move my head in a certain way like shake my face it flows away.... its like i see a fluid in my eyes that causes those flickering light and if i am in a vertical position it disapears if i am in a horizontal it shows
IT is not likely fluid. Suggest you see a neuro ophthalmologist
JCH MD