Eye Care Community
PVD recently diagnosed; weekly retinal checks advisable?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

As I posted earlier, I was diagnosed with PVD 8 days ago due to flashing lights in peripheral vision / large sudden increase in floaters.  I was checked out by two separate retinal specialists with dilation to check for retinal tears (negative), but both doctors confirmed PVD.

As my career depends heavily on my eyesight, I cannot, under any circumstances, risk losing any amount of vision due to retinal tears/detachment.  With this being said, would it be advisable to get weekly dilated retina checks until the 6th week, or could the repeated manipulation of the eye/sclera with a scleral depressor cause more harm?

This would be a little bit pricey at $125 a week, but not as pricey as losing my eyesight and my career.  So, with money not being an issue, would this be advisable?  (I'm already scheduled for another check up in three weeks).
If it will buy you that much peace of mind then certainly go in. However the key thing after a dilated peripheral retina exam is CHANGE: increase in floaters, increase in flashes especially if goes from flashes at night with eye movement to flashes during day without eye movement or loss of peripheral vision.

JCH MD
Also, I know I must report any new symptoms immediately, and am very vigilant about this.  The reason I'm so worried, however, is that I've that often retinal tears produce little detectable symptoms.  Since I am already currently experiencing floaters and flashers, it may be difficult to catch symptoms of a tear.

JCH MD
Thank you for the thorough answer.  I will keep this in mind about looking for change in my field of vision.  
You can do finger counting fields. Close one eye look straight ahead move you hand 360 degrees in your peripheral vision and be sure you can see the hand and finger throughout. Remember the visual field is not round since the nose and brow make it smaller towards the nose and up top. If any question compare the two sides.

JCH MD
Can the use of a Scleral Depressor that Retina Doctors use cause more vitrious to come off the retina or injure the retina?   Do multiple dilations cause more floaters after a PVD has started.  I never asked my doctor because I didn't want him to think I didn't trust him to check my eyes.
It's great to be able to ask questions on this site.
I too have pvd and been told no tears, 4 days ago.  However if I press my eyebrow when washing face etc, I get a kind of plasma ball light effect in my eye.  Is this something to worry about?  I havent had any new floaters, do still get flashes in peripheral vision.  Sight seems ok.  Thanks
Hi Cazzzie,
   I'm not a doctor, but after having been diagnosed with PVD two weeks ago I have been researching different causes of flashes in vision.  Do a google search on "pressure phosphene" and you'll see that even in healthy eyes, pressing in on your eyeball will put mechanical pressure on your retina and cause flashes.

Would these pressure phosphenes be visible even when blinking Do you know?  I have noticed that mine is?  Have you got anxious about your PVD?  I have.  How are your flashes, and have you had many floaters?  It is nice to know as your PVD was diagnosed the same time as mine.  What have you been advised to do?  I have just been told to go back only if there is suddenly a big swarm of floaters or a curtain over my vision.  I would like to be checked just to see if everything is ok, for a bit of reassurance, but they dont do that here in the UK.  I did go back to the hospital as getting more flashes than I had before, and was told it is the nature of the process and dont come back unless I had those things. Have you had any previous eye disease?  A few years ago I had several episodes of iritis, which luckily I havent had for about 3 years now.  I kinda thought my eye probs were over until this.  I hadnt even heard of it before I got it.  Hope you are doing well, thanks for the reply, Cazzzie
Yes, you can notice "flashing" with blinking when you have a PVD. You can also notice it with eye movement.