Eye Care Community
Pain Above Left Eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Pain Above Left Eye

Well I think I have explained it already :)
I have had a reoccurring pain above my left eye that seems to have gotten a little worse. I had the problem about 3months ago and now's it back. This time I have the pain plus slight headache and slight dizziness, nothing major that effects work but its annoying and uncomfortable.

I have been to my optician when this happened the first time. He did all the regular checks but everything was fine. Been back recently because the same eye was sore in the corner (near nose) and a bit blood shot, again everything OK, but then I got the pain back above the eye, 2days and counting now but its a bit better.

I do suffer from Blepharitis which does cause me minor issues from time to time if this makes any difference. I have also had a cataract operation on the same left eye which is giving me the trouble but that was last June.

In short my probs are always the left eye for some reason. Dunno if its some kind of reaction to the cataract op perhaps? never have any issue with the right eye.

Any suggestions? thanks :)
Phil, could you describe exactly where above the left eye you have the pain?  Is it between the lid and eyebrow, or above your eyebrow, for example?  Does it feel as though it's deep inside? More toward the nose or toward the temple?
=
The pain is mainly between the eye lid and eyebrow but sometimes it feels like its above the eyebrow also.
=
I've certainly had symptoms like these, which were successfully treated by a neurologist.

If as you say your headache tends to occur on one side of the head and is felt behind the eye, you might want to google 'migraine headache' or especially 'cluster headache.'  Here's a link to get you started, where these kinds of head pain are discussed:

http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/migraines-headaches-symptoms
=
The pain is more above the eye really, not behind, right in the gap between the lid and eyebrow. Its been around for about 4days now, that normal?

May I ask how you were treated?

It all seems to have started when I got a sore eye in the corner (near the nose). A little bloodshot and the lower lid was swollen a touch...but that's normally blepharitis. After that went I got the pain above the eye, had this before but not with the slight headaches.

I probably doesn't help that I'm paranoid and nervous which makes it worse I'm sure. You think this is nothing serious then? common symptoms?

Normal, schmormal.  Who knows?  Is it serious?  Again, who knows?  Actually, your friendly local GP probably has some idea of what is normal.

I took my head/eye pain to my GP, who gave me a basic checkout and determined that what I was experiencing was probably in the migraine department.  This was not his specialty, so he sent me to a neurologist, who ran me through a *really* interesting neurological exam (worth the price of admission) and declared, "You're having migraines."  This was decades ago, and he put me on a then-experimental treatment regime.  It controlled the problem like you wouldn't believe.

Essentially, I think only the right doc can diagnose you.  What you describe sounds a lot like my migraines, and based on that, my advice to you would be to make an appointment with a neurologist.

Read up on migraines, since knowledge is a good thing.  The symptoms and some suggestions for treatment will be in competent articles on the subject.  Also make an appointment with a neurologist.  You have nothing to lose.