Eye Care Community
Pain above right eye (have glaucoma)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Pain above right eye (have glaucoma)

I was diagnosed with glaucoma almost 10 years ago. I had laser treatment about 6 years ago which did not help. I take drops daily and for the past 2 years have not had any more significant vision loss. However during my 2 pregnancies when I could not take the eye drops the damage was rapid and I lost about a quarter of my visual field in each eye - the right eye being more affected - I lost almost the entire top left quarter.

For the past 6 months I have had daily and constant pain around my right eye. It is low level pain but I am always aware of it. The pain is mainly at the top of the eye.

I have spoken to my eye specialist and he looked inside my eye and could not see any cause and suggested it may be due to the drops - but I only have pain in one eye and I use the drops in both.

The pain though not severe does wear me down over the course of the day - should I seek advice from my regular doctor? Could there be another cause not related to my glaucoma?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I strongly suggest that you get a second opinion from a glaucoma specialist.  I also do not understand why your medications were stopped during your pregnancy, a relatively "safe" drop can usually be found that is acceptable to the patient, the OB doctor and the ophthalmologist.

JCH MD