Eye Care Expert Forum
Pain behind eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Pain behind eye

I have been getting a pain behind my right eye when I try and look around or move it. Along with that I keep getting headaches in/ around right temple that feels like pressure, almost feels like my right temple sinks in a tiny bit when I have these weird pains. I dont know if I should keep trying headache medicine or sinus meds and see if they work before I get my doctor involved. Please advise me on what you think I hould do or if you have a hun ch on what i can be.

Thank you
I would start a medical evaluation. Begin with a comprehensive medical eye examination by a full service Eye Physician MD (Ophthalmologist). Depending on the results of that test you may be referred to your family physician, an ear,nose & throat specialist, tests like a CT of head/sinus might be necessary.

I do not have a 'hunch' about what it is, but I do have 'hunch' that it needs proper evaluation.

Hope its nothing serious

JCH MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
I would there would some sort of solution for the eye, so there is no need to worry it can be sorted.
I have also been suffering from pain behind my eye. Mine is the left eye and have had all the tests spoke about above. My eye pain will start as a twitch before hand and then become a pressure behind my eye. I will see a little foggy out of that eye until everything passes. The pressure will turn into pain on the left side of my head. Everyone around me says I sound "nasaly". I have used sprays and other types of medicine, and steamy showers (help a little). My pain threshold has grown over the last 4 years to one that nothing OTC will help. I have had a CAT SCAN of my head, a scan of my sinus, lower lumbar puncture, blood pressure medicine, migraine medicine, migraine prentatives. It has taken all 4 years of this pain to start to can hopefully understand it. I have seen Neurologists, Eye Doctors, General Physicians. I feel like I have been checked and asked all the questions but I still have no answer. Does anyone have any similar issues or offer another direction. My pain is almost every day of the week and the day it is not I seem to just wait for it.
Hello jmr04. It should be comforting that all these tests, specialists and the passage of 4 years have not shown up with something catastrophic like a cancer.

If you want to keep digging I suggest a neuro-ophthalmologist. Their expertise is difficult diagnosis. Some things that come to mind facial pain syndromes like tic doleroux (can't guarentee the spelling) also known as trigeminal neuralgia, Rader's syndrome, cluster headaches.  

JCH III MD
I have a question - I have been experiencing a similar eye pain as JMR04.  It's completely behind my left eye.  It started Sunday (4 days ago).  It was as if someone stabbed me in the eye, pushed the knife into my temple and my jaw joint.  I have TMJ problems and suffer from migranes (migraines).. have all my life, but this is much different pain, completely on my left side.  My mom is freaked out and thinks I should go to a doctor (because of the history of heart problems in my family, as well as my heart murmer).  The problem is, the pain comes and goes, by the time I wait for a half hour to see a doctor here, the pain is gone and they look at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain the pain.  I've taken advil liquidjels, and even was in sooo much pain that I found a percocet.. nothing works.  Ice cold cloth over my eyes is all that makes it tolerable at night.. during the day, I just deal with it cause I still have to go to work to pay the bills.. anyone ever heard of this pain? know what it might be?
Pain that bad needs evaluated sooner than later. You could start with your family physician or an Eye Physician (ophthalmologist) but I would try and see one within the next 24 hours. Any pain not relieved by a narcotic type pain mediciation (percocet) is an emergency symptom.

JCH III MD FACS