Eye Care Expert Forum
Pain behind eyes and in ears

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Pain behind eyes and in ears

I have pain behind eyes, especially one of them. It gets worse when I move the eyes. It has been going on and off for few months.
I also have ear pain somestimes. Not strong pain but I feel it when I use this thing to clean my ears. Sometimes I see a little blood on it.

22 years old
Healthy
History of Hyperthyroidism and diabetes 2(now in good shape though)
Dear frog090,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine the cause of your pain.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
I should mention that my sight has been getting worse and worse the recent months and years in the same eye that I feel the pain in.
First, my doctor used to say NEVER to clean the ears with anything smaller than your elbow.  Sticking things in the ear canal is dangerous; you can damage the ear drum, and with the blood you sometimes note, it's possible you are hurting yourself.  Let a professional clean your ears.

But second, you mention that you have a history of hyperthyroidism.  There can be problems with the eyes even after the hyperthyroidism is under control, so I'd recommend you go back to your doctor and discuss these symptoms with him/her.