Eye Care Expert Forum
Pain when eyelid is closed

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Pain when eyelid is closed
When I was running a few days ago a lot of grass debris was in the air and entered my left eye. I rubbed it out and it seemed to be fine. The next morning when I opened my eye I felt a sharp pain in my eyelid when I closed my left eye. It's not red, my vision isn't blurred, and I don't see any trauma. However, it has been three days with little improvement and little sleep. When my eye is open, it is mildly uncomfortable. When I close my eye as to sleep, I feel something sharp and it's very uncomfortable. On my "injured" eyelid I can see a few vessels that are red (on top of the eyelid), but it's not very noticeable. At first I thought it was a sty, but I see nothing. When I have had stys in the past, they've only lasted a day or two and I can always see them. It's been several days and with not much improvement, I'm not sure what to do. I have tried eye drops and my pharmacist suggested an eye lubricant, both both of those have not provided much relief.
Dear blinx,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine whether you might have a retained foreign body or other reason for your discomfort.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California