Painful red eye
For the past several months I experience sudden and severe eye redness and pain in one eye, occuring every few weeks and usually associated with sinus drainage and headache.  It has occurred in both eyes but never in both eyes simultaneously.  It usually goes away within 2-3 days, but seems to always return weeks later.  I am not sure when/if I should go to an ophthamologist for this problem.  
Dear jcpom,

The most common condition causing chronic recurrent conjunctivitis is blepharitis, a low grade infection of the oil glands lining the lid. Treatment is usually antibiotic drops or ointment.

However, there are many other possibilities and that trip to the eye MD ophthalmologist is in order. Because it is a medical condition, medical insurance should cover your visit.