Eye Care Expert Forum
Panuveitis

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Panuveitis

I have been treated for uveitis in both eyes for approx. 6 weeks.  Was using Prednisolone Acetate  q 2 to 3 hrs daily and went down to once daily.  Within a few days, I had eyeball pain in my left eye.  I returned to my retina specialist and he said I have PANuveitis.  I am back on drops q 2 to 3 hrs and am dilating the left eye @ bedtime plus taking Advil 2 times a day.  He would put me on steriods, but I also have ovarian cancer and am having a PET/CT in a couple of days.  My cancer has been stable because of tamoxifen 10 mg twice daily.

Do you have any suggestions on the cause of the eye problem.  I was tested for ALL of the usual suspects (Bechet's, TB, Rheumatoid arthritis, etc.).

Judy Carson
Tamoxifan has been implicated in some retinal disorders - especially deposits of the drug in the retina.  Also there have been cases where patients with certain types of malignant cancers can develop uveitis as part of a para-neoplastic syndrome.  Consider seeing a uveitis specialist like Dr. Davis at Bascom Palmer in Miami or Dr. Foster at Massachusetts Eye and Ear in Boston.

MJK MD