Eye Care Expert Forum
Partial Retinal Detachment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Partial Retinal Detachment
i was diagnosed with retinal detachment at the age of 3 , im now 16 and im considering joining the armed forces the eyesight requirement is 6/60. i think i can make the grade even with the condition but my blind spot is in the middle of my eye and the rest of my eye is absolutely fine , i can recognize hand signs and small movements with it but i was looking at laser eye surgery to help me even more , but now that its been left for 13 years is it still fixable ? i think my retinal detachment is only partial.
Perhaps you had a detachment that was repaired but left a scar?  I can't imagine that you were just left with a partial detachment for all these years - but you could have a significant condition that you are not telling me about.  You need to see a retinal specialist to find out the current status of your retina - THEN you can start asking about what can be done.  We just don't know your condition yet - other than what you said.  Good Luck and I hope you can make it into the armed services.

MJK MD
my eye was never treated , it was just left as it was