Eye Care Expert Forum
Partial vision loss in right eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Partial vision loss in right eye

I recently experience a partial vision loss in my right eye, and am concerned what to do.  It came on suddenly, while reclining and watching TV.  It felt like my vision was blurred, and when I sat up and tried focusing, my left eye was fine, but my right eye seemed blurry.  After about 15-20 seconds I noticed the lower third of my vision was blocked, like a grey/brown curtain covered the bottom of my field of view.  When I closed my right eye, I could still see the curtain effect against the dark.  The curtain lasted about 10-15 seconds more, and then my vision returned to normal.  I have also been experiencing some opthalmic mygraines (without headaches) lately (probably 3-4 over the last month or two), but this was very different.  This episode did NOT have the "lightning" type flashing that I have experienced with the migraines.  I just had a physical, with stress-echo cardiogram, and passed with flying colors.  I'm not taking any medication, and my blood pressure has been fine.  Do I call my GP, by cardiologist, my optometrist, or just wait to see if it occurs again?   Thanks!
I would call your primary doctor and tell him that you had a temporary curtain-like loss of vision in the right eye which you think was a transient ischemic attack.  You will need to have a carotid doppler test, and possibly an MRI/MRA of the brain and  possibly need to be started on blood thinners of some sort.  Also see an ophthalmologist to have a complete exam as soon as possible.  Your symptoms are a  possible warning sign that you are at risk for  a stroke - and in particular carotid artery disease is a common cause.

Michael Kutryb, MD
I saw an opthamologist this morning and after his exam, he felt what I experienced was a variant of an opthalmic migraine, even though it didn't have the "lightning" effects I'm used to.  He felt a TIA would have blocked out more of my vision, and that it would have gone black instead of grey/brown.  I'm still scheduled for a carotid artery scan tomorrow, and see my cardiologist 2 days later.  Don't know if I should request a brain MRI, or be confident that the opthamologist is correct about the opthalmic migraine assessment.  Any suggestions?
Thanks!
A related discussion, loss of vision was started.