Eye Care Expert Forum
Pearly White Growth In Corner of Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Pearly White Growth In Corner of Eye

For about 2 - 3 weeks I was having eye pain. I felt like I was having blurred vision in my left eye and it was painful from time to time. Three days ago I woke up and noticed a white flat spot in the corner of my eye. Today I realized it has grown into a protruding bump. It seems to be growing and if I turn my head and look in the mirror I realize it even comes out and rests on my eyelid. I went to the Optometrist (since it is Saturday and don't have access to see an Opthamalogist) and he thinks it is a cyst or tumor. He state it is awkward in shape and formation and referred me to see a specialist. This may take a few days as I know it is hard to get appointments and it is the weekend. I had a few questions; are cysts the same as eye tumors, does this sound like something is cancerous?
Dear Jess2222,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine the cause of your growth.  It is possible that it represents a growth such as a pingueculum or pterygium or may represent abnormal cells as well, such as squamous cell carcinoma.  Your eyeMD will be able to advise you on the possibilities and treatments.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California