Eye Care Expert Forum
Peripheral Vision Loss after Vitrectomy Surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I am 40 years old, and I was diagnosed with a significant retinal tear in my right eye, along the side of my nose.  I discovered this when my right eye instantly lost peripheral vision.  It was caught and addressed very quickly.  I had vitrectomy surgery to reattach the retina, and it was sealed with a laser.  Now, 30 days after the surgery, my air bubble has decreased to about 20% and I can see well out of my right eye, slightly blurry but very good.  However, since my air bubble has decreased and I can see out of my right eye, I've noticed that I still have the peripheral vision loss on the right side of my vision.  (about 45 degrees of loss.)  My eye and vision continue to get better.  With time, will the peripheral vision return, or is it lost for good?  
The longer the duration between the onset of detachment and the time of repair, the higher the probability of permanent vision loss. The extent of the laser may also contribute towards the peripheral vision impairment.  At this point, if the retinal detachment is repaired, I would continue to allow tincture of time to hopefully provide continued improvement.