Eye Care Expert Forum
Peripheral Vision Test

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Peripheral Vision Test

Is a peripheral vision test the same as a "nerve test"?  How is it done, and are there different types of nerve tests for the eyes?

How do they take photos of the retina, and is that different from a nerve test?
Nerve test may mean Zeiss OCT or Heidleberg optic nerve imaging.  I think you are talking about optic nerve imaging which shows the dimensions and cupping of the optic nerve and also the nerve fiber layer around the nerve.  There are 4 or 5 different companies that make a machine for the test.  I use a Zeiss Stratus.

The photos of the retina are done with a digital camera usually.  It just shows a photo but no dimensions and no fancy measurments.  Just a  photo.  Generally insurance will not pay for optic nerve analysis and photos on the same visit.

The visual field test is totally different from optic nerve analysis and fundus photos.  We use a Zeiss/Humphrey unit.  Others use Octopus unit.

Why do you ask??

Michael Kutryb, MD
Thank you for your reply.  I had a recent change in vision, and was told that I was going to have a nerve test; they took me into a different room to look into a machine at a green circle of light, while thin streaks of colored lights passed across.  I didn't need to press buttons or answer if I saw anything on the left or right visual field.  When I asked how my nerve test came out, I was told that they took photos of my retina to check for swelling, but nothing was mentioned of the nerve test or how it came out, so I wondered if it was done.
Sounds like Zeiss Stratus Optical Coherance Tomography - My favorite diagnostic test - and very useful to look at your macula to see if you have any wrinkles, swelling or leakage.  I do it all the time before cataract surgery to discover patients who might have these type problems BEFORE cataract surgery so they understand that their vision may not be totally normal after surgery.  Much better to show it to them before surgery than to discover it after surgery.  This way they can clearly understand that the problem was NOT caused by the surgery.  Also on the other hand, the pre-surgery scan might be totally normal and if post op macular swelling occurs - you can clearly show it to the patient and begin a treatment plan.  The more  you know about the eye before surgery, the better.  Therefore, I'm a big believer in checking corneal cell counts, corneal thickness (pachymetry) and macular OCT scans BEFORE surgery.  
MJK MD
A related discussion, Eye issue, worried was started.