Eye Care Expert Forum
Peripheral sparkles

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Peripheral sparkles

Posted by Amelie on July 07, 1999 at 11:26:39
I have been experiencing something that really bothers me.  Whenever I turn my head, looking over my right shoulder and turn my eyes further to the right, I get an implosion of white, bright sparkly lights in my peripheral vision.  I thought maybe that I was just stretching my eyes muscles to such a degree that caused the reaction.  But, when I did the same thing with my eyes without turning my head, I don't get the same sensation. It doesn't happen when I turn to the left side.  So, this is just limited to a specific combination of movements.  It is a guaranteed occurrance though if I do it....so, of course I avoid doing it if I can.  I just don't understand why I get this, the burst of lights lasts for about 20-30 seconds and makes me feel light headed.  The lights are bright and give me a tunnel vision effect, and are moving fast toward the center field of vision wihch is clear.  I hope I described this in a way that you can understand what I see.  Some info about me: 30 years old, not overweight or underweight, near-sighted (my vision reduced more than usual from 9/98 - 4/99 it went from -3.75, -4.00  to -4.75, -5.00), I have an blurry (more of a clear blur)area in the center field of vision that is really only bothersome when I read.  That's it.  If you could help me out a little in the direction of the type of eye doctor I should see and possible tests, I would really appreciate it, thank you!

Posted by hfhs md - ni on July 07, 1999 at 11:45:29
Several things can cause "sparkles" such as eye migranes (migraines), the vitreous jelly pulling on the retina, or a retinal tear.  It is unusually for this to reproducebly occur in the same field of gaze all of the time.  Regardless, you should have your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist to make sure everything is OK.