Peripheral vision after cataract surgery
I'm 33. I have retinitis pigmentosa.

I just had cataract surgery done on my left eye. A monofocal lens set for distance.

The day after surgery I had significant pain and redness. I had what the doctor called "a lot of inflammation".

I was prescribed: Prednisone (4 times daily). Bromday (2 times daily) and Besivance (3 times daily).

The day after taking these drops the surgeon said the inflammation had significantly decreased. I haven't had any pain or redness since.

My vision is still blurry/cloudy. I read the 20/80 line (20/40 when they refracted me, which I haven't been able to do in my left eye for years).

My peripheral vision wasn't much to begin with, but it seems like the peripheral vision in my left eye has gotten worse since the surgery.

Could the inflammation have caused permanent damage to my peripheral vision that quickly? Or is the cloudy/blurry vision the most likely culprit for the perceived lack of peripheral vision?

I don't see my retinal specialist until the summer where I'll take a visual fields test to definitely know if the peripheral has gotten worse, but was just wondering if inflammation can cause damage that quickly.

Thanks.
The cataract surgery should not have affected your peripheral vision.

Dr. O.
Okay great.

I think it's more a matter of the eye being cloudy/fuzzy.

Thank you for your quick reply.