Eye Care Community
Peripheral vison problem / strange phenomenon after marijuana consumpti...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Peripheral vison problem / strange phenomenon after marijuana consumption

Hello, I'm 16 years old and about 4 days ago I smoked some marijuana. The problem is, about 15 minutes after the consumption I started to see things.. and +5 minutes into te action my vision just kept getting blurryer. +5 minutes and a shape started forming.. it sort of outlined my left eye's central vision.. everything out of this shape was extremely blurry and bent.. inside everything was fairly visible.. at that point I found out that I the problem was only in my left eye.. when I closed my left eye, I could see almost normal and I'd see something like a red dot blinking in my left eye.. At that point I got really worried and took 3mg of Lexotan (benzo) to calm down and try to go to sleep. After I took it, got to move around (I was on the pc..), went out to move around some before the lexotan would kick in.. so I got home, my sight was almost normal now and I went to bed.. when I got up, it was okay.. but on the next day I had 2 flashes (one in the morning, one in the afternoon).. it's like my vision turned all white for a fraction of the second.. It happened so quickly I could barely notice it.. and now (3 days later) I notice a small portion of my peripheral vision bending the light.. aka like you'd were looking thru bent glass (still only in my left eye, and it I have to look left to notice it) and my eye sort of has.. like spasms.. but not the kind you'd have in a big muscle like in your leg.. it just sort of shakes for 1-2 secs.. (i can feel it, not that my eye just pops around, lol)

PS: At first, I thought the marijuana was laced and I was hallucinating, but then I realised that noone would lace it with a smokable psychedelic (and later on, I noticed the other problems..)

A poor attempt to illustrate what basicly my vision (left eye) was
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5885/eyegb2.jpg

I used to wear glasses but just.. stopped, lol
-3d (right), -2,5d (left) (i think..)

The things I mentioned I was "seeing" were kind of.. random spots, simple shapes, etc..

The marijuana I smoked was barely 0.2g perhaps.. I've smoked much more, drank a lot, etc and none problems of this nature would occur.

Please excuse my poor english.
"Weed can kill"   Learn from this experience.  Stay away from narcotics, illegal and addictive drugs before they destroy your health.

It is unlikely you have done any permanent damage to your eyes but it may take some time for things to get back to normal.

JCH III MD
A more logical response would be that you probably had an opthalmic migraine.  Your symptoms are very close.  It could be a coincidence that it happened when you were high, or maybe not.  Marijuana decreases interocular pressure and smoking any substance increases your blood pressure.  Rapid changes in vascular pressure in the brain are thought to be the cause of opthalmic migraines.

Interocular pressure changes can also distort light as it enters the eye.  If your eye has a problem associated with shape or pressure, the marijuana may have accentuated that problem.  You should see an eye doctor just to make sure.

Pot smoke can change the consistency and amount of lubrication in the eye as well as deposit particles on the surface.  Together with visual hallucinations, anxiety and paranoia, these affects could cause you to perceive a visual impairment.

One thing is for certain, Weed does NOT kill.  However, fear perpetuated by ignorance kills (has always killed) more people than anything else.  Despite pervasive disinformation and propaganda to the contrary, marijuana is not a narcotic.  Narcotics, also known as opiates, are substances derived (morphine, codeine) or synthesized (oxycodone, tramadol) from poppies because they mimic the effects of natural endorphins.

Narcotics and many other pharmaceuticals like Lexotan are physically addictive, but marijuana is not.  Marijuana is one of the oldest and most commonly used medicines.  There are hundreds of well documented therapeutic uses for marijuana which have no equivalent in modern pharmaceuticals.  This is because marijuana contains at least 10 different types of cannabinoids.  Cannabinoids like THC interact with the most complex, and least understood chemical systems in the body.  They are very powerful.  Any powerful substance or experience combined with irresponsible behavior can make a person compulsively obsessed to a point where they are no longer interested in daily life.  This "mental addiction" occurs with overuse of marijuana as well as sex, gambling, violence exercise and many other powerful experiences.

Marijuana feels good and has many uses for the self-medicating.  However, any use of marijuana other than for chronic, debilitating illness, should be infrequent or temporary.  Smoking does kill a lot of people every year by damaging the mouth, throat and lungs.  When you use marijuana, use a vaporizer.  Better yet, extract the cannabinoids by dissolving in a fat like butter or olive oil then cook with it.
-
Anyway, it's best not to fool around with anything that you know little about.
can smoking weed cause permanent floaters in the eye. im currently suffering from increasing number of floaters and Im not sure why. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/new/383781#
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Very amusing post and drawing. Thanks!
Weed does not cause cause floaters.

JCH MD