Eye Care Community
Persistant flashes of light in both eyes with no migrane(migraine)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hi. I have been getting persistant flashes of light in my vision for two years now. I see flashes of light and spots in my vision numerous times a day. I also see floaters some days. I have been to the eye doctors and opthamologists several times. They see nothing wrong in my eyes. I also have seen a nuerologist and had two MRI's and one CT scan and they showed nothing. Any ideas anyone???? My eyes are very sensitive to light now and this is all terrifying me as I have no idea what is going on or if I am going to loose my vision. When I get these spots all I can do is lay down for a few minutes until they go away. The flashes of light make me sick to my  stomach and are so frequent I can't even work now. Any change in light triggers them. Anything I do that causes my heart rate to go up triggers the spots.(Taking walks etc. is all out of the question now) I can't stand the doctors have no idea! What could cause me to be seeing flashes in both eyes? I know there has to be some cause and my family doctor has no idea what to even check for. I am a 26 year ols mom of 3 and generally healthy. I am of normal weight and my sugar tests came back good, blood pressure always checks out ok... They can only conclude persistant visual aura at this point but that is not good enough for me. A preventitive migrane (migraine) medicine they put me on had no affect on my eyes what so ever. I have been researching this like crazy desperate for answes but I can't find much on here that could cause flashes in both eyes. Serious ideas are very much appreciated!!!!! Thank you!!!!!
I suffer from same thing, you remind me exactly of myself.

I've seen 3 optomotrists & an aptho. & all was fine.

Did you test for allergy? if you have high allergy then your symptoms could be triggered by allergy.

also, I know it will sound weird to you, but check out "anxiety symptoms" & see if its' eye/vision symptoms are what you're experiencing.

If it is anxiety, the feeling you get after they happen is panic, it increases your heart rate & it cause abdominal pains & may be nausea, it depends on how paniced you are at the time.

I'm not a medical proffessional but in same position like you seeking help & all my eye checks were ok. So may be you need to consult with your dr whether anxiety/stress could be a reason for your symptoms. There are many other symptoms for anxiety & if you have any of them then may be you can further confirm.

all the best.

cheers,
Are you practising any kind of pranic healing, reiki, kundalini yoga, chanting, vipassana mediation, lightbody-chakra attunements/activation. This can produce too much prana and overload the nervous system.  The frequency of the planet is changing and many are experiencing similar symptoms.. its best to stop all spiritual practices and apply grounding exercises everyday.
MS can cause flashes in eyes
I noticed that your post is now five yours old. I have just recently - well within the last eight months- started experiencing the exact same eye symptoms you described. Been to all the doctors, had all the tests. Cleared from MS and any eye issue. They are calling it Ocular Migraine and treating me with Topamax. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be helping at all with the flashing. Please post and let me know how you and doing five years down the road. Thanks- from an otherwise healthy mother of five
Hello...I'm 32 years old and have flashes of light in my eyes everyday. Makes me crazy. Dr's think it's an occular migraine but I have had migraine with aura and it's a totally differnet light. I dunno...I'm tired and clueless.
Also have horrible floaters daily. Anywhere from stringy shiny ones to dark huge cloudy ones....Neuro-opth says I have alot of debris in my eyes and the vitreous is being tugged? It's real annoying though and I am very not comfortable....I having severe tightness in my face now like my eyes are extremely dry or something? (This has just started)
Have any of you figured out anything?