Eye Care Expert Forum
Persistent red eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Persistent red eye

Hi Anyone shed any ideas on a problem which has plagued me for years and which is driving me insane. For the past 5 years or more, I get a very very red eye, it can vary from left or right eye and sometimes both at the same time, but more often the right. Sometimes, the whole white of my eye is blood red, and it is very sore, it feels bruised and is accompanied by a dull ache. My eyes are always gritty and dry, even when I don't have the redness, some mornings I have to put drops in as soon as I open my eyes or it feels like I have sandpaper on the inside of my eyelids. The curious thing is that it is a regular occurrence, every 6 weeks without fail, almost to the day.  I have lost count the times I have been to the eye hospital, they say it is blepharitis, uveitis, so many other "itis-is" I have lost count. I use Blepharitis several times a day, hot compresses, Optive eye drops several times an hour, take flax oil capsules - all to no avail and I am at my wits end. I am really concerned that it may be an underlying pointer to a more serious problem that nobody is taking seriously. I feel like a freak every 6 weeks, I can see people flinching away  from me, It is affecting the way I feel about myself as I can't wear eye makeup at all now, I have worn it all 't my life and don't feel dressed without it. I am 57. help, please.
The best suggestion is to seek a second opinion at another eye clinic. There are unfortunately several -itis problems: conjunctivitis is the most common cause of eye redness, though scleritis (a type of uveitis) may be a culprit.

The most common cause of this eye redness is usually dry eye causing the conjunctiva to be red and inflamed. Also, "rebound hyperemia" can be a culprit, especially if you are using "get the red out" drops...these notoriously cause dependence and once you stop them, they cyclically cause redness (rebound redness). There are many more causes and this list serve shouldn't address them all, so please seek a second opinion.

Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, Medical Doctor, Ophthalmologist