Eye Care Community
Photopsia for a month!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Photopsia for a month!

Dear doctor,

3 weeks ago I received a blunt trauma to my eye by an elbow, it manifested at the beginning as eyelid hematoma, subconjunctival hemorrhage & discomfort; I saw a doctor after 2 days, he did a direct ophthalmoscopy (with no mydriatics) & he told me that there's some oedema & I should administer corticosteroid eyedrops for 1 week; at the end of that week I began experiencing temporal, peripheral and frequent flashes of light in my eye, being a medicine student I knew that it was a sign of retinal traction & I seeked medical advice immediately, I had a fundus examination & it revealed a tiny spot hemorrhage on the retina to the extreme nasal side & I was told that it was self-limiting & that I should follow up again after a couple of weeks.
The problem is that the flashes never stopped, I keep getting them until this current moment!!
Should I be concerned!?
Tags: Photopsia
Yes I would return to an Eye MD ophthalmologist for a repeat exam, if possible try and see a retina specialist.
JCH MD
JCH MD
I also have flashes of light being seen in perioheral vision, i went to the er and they are sending me tomorrow am to an opthqmologist. I am a very healthy kid with 20/20 and scared for my eye. A piece of glass hit it, however they checked and theres no scratches or glass. Can a blow to the eye or a piece of glass cause this temporary photospia? And if so is it temporary in most or some cases? Or is this evidence of something worse?
What i mean is that can you get hit in the eye and it cause photospia, and it also be temporary? I am sure boxers, and martial artists may haveexperienced this. Or is photospia trauma induced permanent and can cause a retinal detachment? Very much appreciated.
Hey i have been doing boxing i got an eye injury (a thumb of friend hit my eye) so i still see flashes after 6 months . And Docs said that there are no retina injury. Im planning to go for a second investigaton of my eye..
I got used to that flashes in my eye and they got faded a lot ... o usually dot pay attention at them, but still when i see em i think they are annoying...