Eye Care Community
Photopsia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Photopsia

I posted this question several days ago but have never seen it appear in the forum. Maybe I did something wrong with the posting. Anyway, my eye surgeon says I have "Negative Dis Photopsia". I have never heard of "Negative" but have read all about "Photopsia" Is there such a term and where can I find out more about it? I have some flashing in the corner of my left eye (the one that had a cataract removed. He says this will go away in time. Any responses????
Tags: Photopsia
Type "dysphotopsia" in any internet search engine.

Negative means the extra images are black or dark
Positive means the extra images are white or light in color

JCH III MD
Hi Dr. Hagan (John if you prefer)
You have advised me in the past but I'm still a little concerned with my eyesight. I saw my eye consultant in London 8 months ago as I was experiencing more floaters plus flashing lights. he examined me & reassured me that I have symptoms of Photopsia which simply represent some minor vitreous traction but not causing any problem with security of the retina & told me to see him in a year's time (July). The letter he sent me does contain other technical comments but the bottom line is what I've already mentioned. the floaters remain & the flashing comes & goes. Just lately started again, it's fine when I wake up but as the morning progresses & more light penetrates, the flashing returns. I guess my real concern is that I had cataract surgery back in the early 1980's to both eyes (not at the same time) and my left eye's retina detached a year later. I had surgery to re-attach but as a result of a post operative infection, I lost the sight in the left eye, however I have managed very well with the sight in my right eye, but obviously having sight in one eye, I'm absolutely paranoid about it. Should I be panicking about this in view of what my eye consultant told me last July? If you need any of his other comments I can of course let you have them. Protocol with a learned gentleman suggests that I do not question his findings & assessments, but my concern never leaves me for the reasons I have given plus I'm afraid that having got to the age of 60 (in May) calm has never been my middle name!!
Best regards
Paul Harris in London
Your situation would certainly engender great concern and anxiety. I see only three options:   accept what you've been told and go in immediately if something changes (flashes gets a lot worse, new showers of floaters, loss of field of vision); 2 get a second opinion from another retina Eye MD ophthalmologist. 3. realize how anxiety producing this is and will remain the rest of your life; see a psychiatrist and see if antianxiety medication; cognitive behavior therapy would help with the anxiety/panic you have.

JCH MD
Hi Dr Hagan
My sincere thanks once again for your advice. As I was visiting family on the South Coast of England over the weekend & still concerned about the flashing in my right & only sighted eye, I decided to take your advice & take the option of a 2nd opinion at the eye department of the local hospital . I'm happy to say that once again the eye tests showed the retina to be fine. The specialist that examined me suggested that it could be a case of migraine which can, according to him, manifest itself as flashing light as opposed to its usual association with severe headaches, however, as I have had the flashing light for a few days now, I somehow doubt this.  As the retina was seen to be in good shape, it does make me wonder why I get this and more importantly, will it go or abate?  I find that it doesn't actually lessen my eyesight but I do find it a nuisance or certainly an irritation. It usually starts a few hours after I get up once the light has had enough time to penetrate I guess that Photopsia is something that I must get used to living with? I will of course be having annual check ups with my eye consultant in London. If you have any suggestions as to what might reduce this problem, I would of course be delighted to hear
Best regards
Paul Harris in London
Use the search feature and archives and read about "eye migraines' and "ophthalmic migraine".

The flashes from retina traction are not at all like migraine. Retinal traction (example PVD) is very short duration (less than 1 second) and very bright. Like a flash of lightening at midnight.

Flashes from migraine are continous and may last anywhere from several minutes to an hour. They are often geometric in shape or look like heat waves or like looking at a flashbulb and looking away. They can be seen with the eyes shut. Google Images "eye migraine" or "Migraine scotoma" and you'll see the various shapes they have.

JCH MD
Once again my sincere thanks to you for continuing to reply to my messages. From what you have told me I can certainly now say for sure that this is not a migraine problem and evidently a case of Photopsia as my eye consultant told me back in July of last year.  Is there anything that reduces the problem of flashes due to vitreous traction, for example, drops or any medication, or does this condition just come and go?
Best regards
Paul in London  
No, nothing that is practicle.  Although there are a few notable exceptions most flashes due to vitreous traction stop within 4-8 weeks.
JCH DM
Many thanks once again for all your advice & re-assurance
Best regards
Paul in London
-