Eye Care Expert Forum
Post-Cataract Surgery Blurriness

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Post-Cataract Surgery Blurriness
I recently had phaco cataract surgery and an AcrySof Toric IOL implanted in one eye.

3 weeks down the road, my latest eye exam revealed the following refractive errors:

SPH: +1.25
CYL: Nil
AXIS: Nil

Even though I no longer have any myopia and astigmatism since they're corrected by the IOL's power, why am I still experiencing blurred Distant vision?

Does Hyperopia also cause blurry distant vision? I thought it only causes blurry near distant vision? Especially since my Hyperopia is considered "mild" at just +1.25?

What options are open for me to correct this blurry issue? Is LASIK possible for an IOL implanted eye? What are the additional risks?

Lastly, would a LASIK procedure to correct surgery induced Hyperopia, be generally considered as a brand new case of LASIK, or would it receive discounts as with an enhancement procedure which typically costs much cheaper than the 1st time?

I know different doctors and clinics charge differently, but would like to get a general idea of what would doctors consider it under.

Thanks!

This is actually a follow-up question (though not exactly related), to my previous post at: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/316508
Hyperopia after cataract surgery of greater than +1.00 usually causes unhappy patients because they are blurry at near AND far.  Options to treat include LASIK, PRK, IOL exchange, CK, piggyback IOL or just leave it as is and wear glasses as needed.  I you have had previous refractive surgery, that changes the whole equation and you should patiently wait for refraction to settle down then consider options.  Discuss all the options with your surgeon.

On the other eye - the LASIK undercorrected  your astigmatism and left you with residual astigmatism at a different axis. You will likely need a LASIK enhancement.

MJK MD
Another question - not to waste an additional daily quota for questions:

My post Zyoptix Tissue-Saving Lasik in the other eye resulted in the following refractive errors:

SPH: +0.25
CYL: -2.00
AXIS: 155

My question is, whether the Astigmatism will diminish by itself during the continuous healing period (3rd wk now), or whether an enhancement procedure is almost guaranteed? I'm currently experiencing blurry reading and distant vision.

Also, would there be any chance that the residual astigmatism be partially induced by the LASIK surgery itself? I read that surgically induced astigmatism is not uncommon with LASIK procedures?

My pre-LASIK astigmatism was at (CYL) -3.50 @ (AXIS) 5 degrees?

Thanks again!

MJK MD
Hi Dr. MJK,

Thanks for your previous reply. I have a question about LASIK for my IOL implanted eye. Would the LASIK just correct my distant vision or would it also enable me to see near objects clearly as well?

Just need to clarify since I know that with cataract surgery, my focusing ability is now gone, so would LASIK be advisable for just +1.25 of distant error if this is the case?

Also, newer LASIK technology now enables Presbyopia to be corrected. Since  Presbyopia is the degeneration of focusing ability of the eye on near objects, would such LASIK help the focusing ability of my IOL implanted eye in anyway?

Thanks!