Eye Care Community
Post Op - Detached Retina Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Post Op - Detached Retina Surgery

My mother has just undergone two surgeries for a detached retina.  The second surgery was successful, however the doctor informed her that she would have to undergo another surgery to remove the silicone oil.

Two questions: Why?  And, How soon does the silicone oil need to be removed?
1. The silicone oil holds the retina in place and seals holes while its healing.  2. The silocone will be removed as soon as the retina Eye MD thinks the healing is completed. The silicone can cause side effects like corneal or lens damage.

JCH III MD
i had my silicion oil removed after 4 months. i was told that if you keep it longer than 6 months the lens will become cloudy due to cataracts but due to vitrectomy surgery she will most likely will have cataract lot sooner then she would have it.   I was told that oil does a better job for more serious detachments and is less straneous on the body since you dont have to lie face down for two weeks.  i have heard of stories of folks who opted for gas-bubble but to require second surgery due to re-detachement and end up with silicon oil then another follow-up surgery to have it removed!  totoal of three surgeries!!  ouch!!!
Pretty much all of what psuoh says is right on

JCH IIIMD
What good does it do to have  silicone oil inserted if you still cannot see with that eye?  I had surgery for a macular hole and a gas bubble was used.  After 3 weeks I had a detached retina and had surgery 6 weeks after the 1st surgery.  It has now been 4 months and the surgeon says he cannot take the silicone bubble out because my retina will detach.  I also have a cataract from the surgery.  Believe me it was better to have the macular hole.  I have not been able to lie on my back for 4 months.  I would like to get a second opinion.  Every time I go to the dr. he makes me feel that I am not following all of his instructions.  What can I do?
I have had 3 surgeries so far.  First a detached retina and my surgeon used the gas bubble.  Ended up 2 months later with a fold in the macula and cataract surgery.  A month after that my retina detached again and he used silicone oil.  Have had it in for 3 months hoping to have the oil taken out soon so i can see better.  That will be the the fourth and hopefully the last.
It is all a nightmare. Hang in there the best you can. I am thinking about you.