Eye Care Community
Post-Op for Detached Retina

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Post-Op for Detached Retina

Hi again folks,
I went ahead and had the surgery, in spite of all the negative things I have heard about this surgery and its outcomes. I have been in pain for the past couple weeks, and am following doctors orders to the tee. My vision is pretty much non-existent other than the shadows and lights that I know are there, just uncertain of how close/far they actually are from me. Has anyone out there had any positive results with the surgery for detached retina? the surgery consists of a phneumatic retinopexy, schleral buckel, vitrectomy and gas bubble. Also, one of my main concerns was the water line I can see when looking into the mirror. It is as if my eye is filled with water and I can see it swishing around in my head! I get sharp pains now and again, and waking up in the morning is dreadful! The headaches are unreal and it usually takes me a couple hours to adjust to the sunlight. I am not looking forward to this summer! Anyone out there in a similar situation as I? or anyone with positive feedback in regards to this mess that I find myself in? thanks again!
Browneyes84

This discussion is related to Still in pain after 4 weeks - retinal detachment and scleral buckle.
water line = gas bubble, I replied to your other post.....

as far as sensitivity to light goes wear sunglasses outdoors in bright light. As the bubble gets smaller you may notice that the light sensitivity diminishes. Also, if you're using any dilating (red top) drops then you should be wearing sunglasses outdoors.

I've got a c3f8 bubble now about 40-45%, in my right eye, and staying outside in bright sunlight without sunglasses makes it difficult for my eye to adjust back to indoor lighting.

Make sure you sleep on your side or stomach. Do not sleep on your back as the bubble will come to the front of the eye.

It's rough and at times your patience wears too thin but just hang in there. Here's to hoping you don't get PVR.
See your doctor.  You should not have pain this far out.  

Dr. O.

I agree with Dr. O. Basically the pain should be non-existent except for the occasional minor twinge at this stage.
As far as that water line.
It is weird isn't it? I likened it to looking though a glass of water that was almost full. And then daily, bit by bit the water line receded and I could actually see above the line. It was a slow revelation. Now the bubble/ water line is not more than a tiny round dot that floats around in the bottom of my eye. I look forward to its total absorption very soon.
I had the same surgery you had ( buckle, vitrectomy, pneumatic retinopexy) but for two retinal tears, they were peripheral. Where was your detachment?
I have pretty good vision now except for the very dense cataract that has now formed over the last 6 weeks post op. Have to have that removed nest.
I also had tremendous light sensitivity but it was because my pupil was dilated ( on purpose), as I weaned off the drops the pupil came down a bit and while still larger than the unaffected eye, it is no longer bright and glaring and painful. Do wear good sunglasses or I sometimes wore a patch just to give it a rest.
Best and hang in there.
I had surgery for D Retina in january 2010 this went fine apart from fluid on the lungs after so was in post op care for 5 hours before going back to the ward I had a gas bubble until last week (12 weeks) as this diminished I expected to see but cannot its all milky and blurred surgeon told me last week a cataract has formed now this is very common with retina ops apparantley,this will be removed 24th june under local anaesthetic am worrried because i am not good with lying flat due to angina  after 3 months am so fed up not being able to drive and the posturing was awful am hoping for eyesight restored after the next op.....this is awful not being able to see anyone else had the cataract op what s it like?
Well as far as a good outcome goes, I think my case is an example. I had a retinal detachment, treated by cryo + gas,  followed by vitrectomy, laser + gas bubble. Bubble lasted 12 - 13 weeks. Initial day of pain was severe, but within a week I was only on Tylenol for mild discomfort and headaches. Positioning for the bubble was the most enduring discomfort, not the eye or surgery. In the end, I recovered excellent vision for my starting point (macula on, 360 degree peripheral detachment). I did get a cataract almost immediately, with IOL in 6 months post-vitrectomy.  I now have capsular "secondary cataract" after 21 months, but still quite functional without YAG treatment yet. So I feel very fortunate, especially to have been treated promptly at Mass Eye + Ear  
Oh yes, how could I forget my scleral buckle too?