Eye Care Community
Post-cataract surgery light streaks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Post-cataract surgery light streaks

I am 5 months post-cataract surgery. Night time lights cause diagonal streaks in the operated on left eye. I have been treated in an eye center and have seen multiple doctors and each one has told me different things. One said
caused by the residual astigmatism from the surgery and that glasses should help,but they didn't. Another doctor said it is caused by the rim of the new IOL. One of them said that if and when a YAG is needed it can be corrected. I am trying to learn the root cause of these light streaks. Has any one had these streaks removed either through a subsequent procedure or simply disappear over time? I am really starting to give up on the latter as I become further and further removed from the initial post-surgery recovery time. If and when the second eye needs cataract surgery and this happens in the second eye as well I probably would lose the ability to drive at night. Thanks in advance to any one who provides feedback. It is greatly appreciated.
I had surgery on one eye 3 months ago, & have ghosting & starbursts from lights that make night driving impossible.  I've also been told it's due to a combination of residual & surgery induced astigmatism, but glasses don't fix it.
Last week a contact lens specialist at the hospital tried a rigid contact lens on my operated eye, & so far as I could tell, in the treatment room, that seemed to help a lot (with the ghosting anyway).  I'm waiting for a trial contact lens to be made up for me, & my next appointment isn't for another 3 weeks, but I'm hopeful that it might help sufficiently for me to manage night driving again.
I was also told by a nurse about a friend of hers who had both eyes done & couldn't night drive because of the light effects - it took about a year but she did eventually experience improvement & begin to be glad she's had the surgery done.
I, too, had a very pronounced streak after receiving a toric lens.  It would appear diagonally when looking at any bright light source, such as a headlight at night.

My surgeon believed it was caused by a minute fold in the capsular sac.  He proved to be correct.  It disappeared immediately after a YAG was performed.

Good luck.
-
I had an acrysof SN60WF lens implanted in my left eye in November 2009 and have had long diagonal streaks of light going through every car headlight and streetlight at night as well as off of every piece of metal in the daytime ever since.  I have had many, many other problems with this lens and have gone through all kinds of tests. I have found out that there is a crease across the lens (probably from when it was folded before insertion) which is causing this horrible effect, so it will never go away.  I hope for your sake this is not your problem.

If your lens is defective, would it be possible to have it explanted and replaced?
Above response was meant for yvonnez.
How long after your YAG surgery did the streak disappear ?  I had the surgery yestrerday to remove a wrinkle in my capsular sac, I am seeing some improvement but wondered how long it was before you did.
I had cataract surgery in both eyes in November 2010, 10 days apart.  In addition to the cataracts I had severe astigmatism plus binocular double vision and myopia.  I knew that I would continue to wear eyeglasses after surgery because of the binocular double vision, so I had no illusions that any implanted lenses would make me spectacle free. At the pre-op appointment I told the surgeon that I would only be interested in a lens other than the most basic implant if the lens would make it easier for my optometrist to fit me with glasses (the multiple eye issues required compromises in achieving the best vision results from glasses).  The surgeon said that the Toric lenses for astigmatism would eliminate or greatly reduce the prism in the glasses after surgery, allowing the optometrist to concentrate better on the binocular double vision and any other issues.  Often cataract patients after surgery on one eye just pop out the lens of their glasses for the operated eye and can then continue almost indefinitely until the second eye surgery.  I had the second surgery 10 days after the first because my vision was very distorted due to having removed the lens in the glasses for the operated eye and trying to see with the operated eye and the unoperated eye that was looking through a glass lens with significant prism for both double vision and astigmatism.  There was some ghosting in the first operated eye at night, but less of a problem than the problem of trying to see with one operated eye without glasses and one unoperated eye looking through glasses.  
After the second surgery I did not see any ghosting at night in that eye, and thought I was home free.  Within about a week, the night ghosting started in the second eye and the first eye developed halos at night.  Then a month later the second eye developed severe diagonal streaking when looking at headlights, taillights or any bright light at night, including candlelight at a night dinner, as well as sun reflections off metal etc. in the daytime.  I have read enough on-line to suspect that the Toric lenses are the problem.  My surgeon says that 1% - 3% of cataract patients develop these problems and I would have them even if just the regular lenses had been installed at the time of surgery.  The cataract surgeon, another eye surgeon and my optometrist have all told me that the lenses are properly placed.  I had not previously read about the fold in the capsular sac that John Libbel mentions, and do not know what a YAG procedure is.
I have been on a couple of different types of eyedrops for the past 3 months, and they have not helped.  I cannot drive at night because of the streaks.  yesterday my surgeon started me on 2 new types of drops.  He believes at this point that my problem is severe dry eye (he performed a green dye test on my eyes yesterday which led him to believe that this is a problem) and prescribed the drops for 8 weeks.
If I had it to do over again, I would reject Toric lenses, and that is my recommendation to anyone who knows that they will still need corrective lenses after cataract surgery to address other vision issues.  it's a lot easier to adjust prescription lenses than to deal with implanted lenses that may be causing a problem.   I have spoken to the surgeon about removing the Toric lenses and replacing them with the basic lens.  He says that it will not solve the problem.  I have also mentioned it to my optometrist.  The optometrist got back to me after discussing the situation with 3 or 4 other eye surgeons and the optometrist says that the other surgeons conclude that I should be patient and that there is a significant risk that my vision could end up worse if an attempt is made to replace the Toric lenses.  My optometrist says that some of these night vision issues after cataract surgery resolve themselves up to 12 months after cataract surgery.
At this point my daytime vision is better as a result of the cataract surgery, but my nightime vision is much worse than it was when I had cataracts.
I had cataract surgery a month ago. even though I have astigmatism, my surgeon recommended simple monofocal lenses.  I had the post operative problem light streaks from headlights, etc. due to  fold in the capsular sac.

Today the surgeon perform YAG to correct the problem.  When she was done she said  “the wrinkle is gone, and I may need my prescription changed.”  Now my eye sight is generally worse as far as blurred vision.  And I now see starburst around lights instead of a streak.  nothing was mentioned about this possibility befor ether procedure.

In general I feel from a consumer point of view there is a lot lacking in the information provided about cataract surgery.  There seems to be an intentional cover-up of full and simple explanations of realities of the procedure.  The only information readily available is from the manufacturers of lenses, and it is misleading.  Now that the baby boomers will be lining up with cataracts, there needs to be a brighter light shown on the procedure and the information put out by the “industry.”  
I have posted my cataract surgery experiences here, too, and I am still a work in progress. I had the option to spend thousands extra and do the high end bifocal lenses, but learned from a coworker how hard it is for her to drive after dark. Left eye received a regular distance lens after the right which needed the toric. Having read everyone's comments over a year, I am not sure whether it is the lens or the type of problems we bring to it, that is causing the halo/flare problems. I have dry eye but that has it's own set of shifts which change fairly rapidly by season, temperature, and whether the heat or AC is on in the car. I have had a change in astigamatism with the problem eye so am trying a new prescription. I do not ride the expressways at night, unless the oncoming traffic is low volume. I am fabulous on a dark country road in dry weather. Rain after dark is still a problem but I can manage lo speeds. The sodium lights on lit highways are not so kind. Biggest blessing: I can walk to my heart's content at night, seeing great even w/o myglasses, and taking public transit any time of day is a pleasure. I can match yarn and fabric for all my hobbies. Colors are great. I can see my neighbors and call them by name.
The halo problems I had with my regular lens in the left eye have declined. I found that I was partially causing those myself getting tense and squinting. Right is out of my control. Have been curbing night driving when possible.
Wishing you the best and keep us posted on your path to success.