Eye Care Expert Forum
Post cornea transplant pain

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Post cornea transplant pain

I had a cornea transplant 9 years ago.  Every time there is a dramatic weather change, especially with a 10 degree or plus drop in temperature in the same day, my eye is in alot of pain.  I wear RGP contact lens on a  daily basis, but the pain is present even without the lens.  My question is.  What is the cause of this pain?  Is it the way the cornea healed?  Could it be the scar?  I am having PRK surgery because of fit issues with the RGP lens.  The doctor performing the surgery says that the surgery will help with my lens issue but not with the change in weather days.  Is there anything else I could do, or suggest to him to help me with all the days I'm in pain?

Dear Frankiejs,

I would recommend that you speak with your eyeMD about the cause and have him/her examine your eye when this occurs.  On an emergent basis may allow the eyeMD to see what is occurring.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California