Eye Care Community
Post op cataract complications.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Post op cataract complications.

Six months ago, I had IOL implanted to the left eye because of cataract. For a month following surgery, I had eye pain, kept constant headaches of severe degree (never any history of this before, no history of migraines) extreme light sensitivity, bouts of being nauseated and losing my balance with ease. Eye Dr. said it was most unusual for someone to have evidence of surgical trauma with sclerae so bruised still 3 weeks after surgery.  I explained I felt as though I'd been hit in the eye and continued to have eye pain all the time. Eye pressure was said to be 22 when I saw Dr. a month post op. He encouraged me to have IOL on the right side so my eyes "could work together" and fel tthe situation would improve. Therefore, 2 months after left eye surgery, I had right IOL and had no problems with this eye at all.  When I returned for follow up 2 weeks after surgery, he said I had developed opacities with both eyes. The headaches, nausea, eye pain with the left eye began to lessen considerably.  However, over the past month, I feel like I have been hit full force in the left eye and am having frequent headaches, but my left eye hurts all the time and I have bouts of shooting pain in this eye.  It is almost impossible for me to drive at night anymore because of extreme light sensitivity and seeing halos. I returned to the Dr. with these aforementioned complaints and he said he "didn't see anything wrong," had no explanation for my symptoms. Therefore, I consulted another ophthalmologist for a second opinion.  A few nights before I consulted the second opinion, I was having dinner with a friend who knew nothing of my eye surgeries and he asked "What is wrong with your left eye?" I wondered why he asked and he said "Your eye looks really strange. Do you remember "The Hulk" TV program?" I said "Yes." He said "Well, this is what your eye reminds me of the way the light is reflecting, only difference is, your eye is not turning green like the Hulk's did before he enforced his powers!"  Anyway, I consulted the second opinion and he said this was due to significant opacity of the lens on the left side, suggested laser capsulotomy. I have the vascular form of Ehlers Danlos. The second eye Dr. has no experience with EDS, the first has no experience with the EDS type I have so I have decided to seek an additional opinion. Lens dislocations I know are possible with my EDS type. I have concerns regarding this.  I asked the eye Dr. what the risks/potential complications if I decide to proceed with laser capsulotomy considering my EDS and he didn't seem to know what to tell me toher than to say "We don't have a lot of experience with your EDS type.  Tissue fragility/friability are of course an obvious concern." One major concern I have is the degree of continued eye pain which persists with the left eye and neither of the ophthalmologists I have consulted thus far have been able to explain why this is continuing. I do not have any problems with the right eye like I have described with the left other than the opacity which the Dr. says I have and he said the opacity with the right is not nearly as apparent as what is seen on the left..  I feel very inept,. don't know what questions to ask, let alone what to do because I do not feel like I have nearly enough information to make anywhere near a "reasonably educated decision. I am a 52 yo female..I would be extremely grateful for your input and guidance. I am willing to travel anywhere for consultation. Thank you very much.. .    .
opacity of the posterior capsule is extremely common and can cause blurred vision, glare, difficulty reading but DOES NOT cause pain.  EDS is a rare disease and you will not find any Eye MD with much experience taking care of these patients. I would not expect much problem at all with a laser capsulotomy its possible some of your pain may be due to the reaction of EDS to the cataract surgery.

You might consider a consultation with a neuro-ophthalmologist. OR ask your internist/endocrinologist that takes care of the EDS if he/she can suggest an Eye MD with experience with EDS. (Again I don't think this is really a big issue).

JCH III MD