Eye Care Community
Post operative Mydriasis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Post operative Mydriasis

I had both eyes operated for cataract removal.  My left eye is OK.  Right eye had a complication which required a second intervention.   Surgeon had to touch iris to gain access to perform a partial retinoplastia.  My iris became paralyzed and does not respond to light increase, so my eye easily gets glared.  Worst problem is a lost of focus.  When watching through a small hole, not a pin hole but sligthly larger, I can see much better and sharper. I was prescribed lenses to correct for the focus impairment but as both eyes are susbstantially different, I get one smaller image at the right eye, which causes discomfort and easily my eye getstired,  wandering and misaligned.  While seeing through the "peep hole", punched in a card and near the eye, I get a much better balanced vision, and glasses can be of the same graduation.   What can I do?  My oftalmologist says "I should be happy having one good eye at least".  But I am certain if I could get some contact lens with a narrow iris opening I would be much, much better.
Does this kind of lenses exist?  What else could be done to correct my permanent wide iris opening?
Please advice!
Mike
You need to get a second and possibly a third opinion from Eye MDs that do cataract/IOL surgery. In most big communities there is some Eye MD surgeon that specializes in post operative complications. Try and find out who that person is.

Find Eye MDs near you at www.aao.org   Also if you have a medical school near you being seen in their dept of Ophthalmology would also be a good option.

JCH MD
Thanks John!
I already did my research and second opinion requests.   All recommend using a reduced pupilar hole contact lense (from 2 to 3 mm).   The problem is this lenses are not easily obtainable in Guatemala.  I am looking for a supplier or manufacturer who makes and sell this kind of contacts, with or without optical power.
Thanks for opinion.
I am looking for some person actually having corrected this problem with experience in using this type of lens.
Mike
Yes the kind of lenses you are looking for exist. Search "prosthetic lenses" on the web by yourself. Then, through the different makers, you should succeed finding an optician close to (or far from) your place who will sell you one. You will have first to go to an ophtalmologist to measure the keratometry of your eye but that is not a problem.
I am in the same situation as you and manage by myself to buy a prosthetic lens from Medcorp International through Cantor & Nissel in UK. I am French, which does not make things easier, but for you it should not be that difficult! Be careful with the prices that may vary by more than 50 % from one optician to another...
Good luck,
Guy
What ever you do you should not go to Panama where they implant artifical iris inside the eye to cosmetically change the color of one's eyes. There are many cases of blindness from this unapproved procedure.

JCH MD