Eye Care Community
Posterior Vitreous Detachment in both eyes at the same time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Is it common for posterior vitreous detachment to start/occur in both eyes at almost the same time?

How long does the process of posterior vitreous detachment typically last for?

Are there any long term effects from posterior vitreous detachment? For example, if it happens to you when you are in your twenties, in theory, will your sight still be fine when you reach old age?
Very very uncommon to occur in both eyes at the same time.

You need to be seen by an ophthalmologist.  There is a small chance of a retinal tear which can lead to a retinal detachment.

If no tears, there is usually not a long term problem.

Dr. O.
Dr. O. Thank you for your response.

I have been to an opthalmologist and she states that my symptoms are due to Posterior Vitreous Detachment. My symptoms are as follows:

Day 1 - Left eye has a dusty/cloudy patch in peripheral vision
Day 2 - Left eye has a dusty/cloudy patch in peripheral vision AND center of vision as well
Day 3 - Same as Day 2 above AND now similar dusty/cloudy symptoms in right eye, peripheral vision AND center of vision affected, although not as much as the left eye

I'm not a doctor myself obviously, but it strikes me that having cloudy patches in both of my eyes within such a short time frame would be very coincidental if Posterior Vitreous Detachment doesn't start at the same time in both eyes. I accept that it's tricky for you to guess what could be causing these symptoms without seeing me, but what else "could" cause this kind of behavior in the eyes?
I have only seen one patient with bilateral posterior retinal detachments in both eye.  I sent him to a retinal colleague who see probably the most retinal patient in the LA area and he had never seen one until my patient.  Together we have about 60 years experience.

If the cloud area of vision are in the same side (right or left), it may be due to some thing in the brain.

Dr. O.

Dr. O.
I haven't been told that there are retinal detachments (I'm not getting flashing lights or a black curtain across the eye etc.), but have been told that there is Vitreous detachment in both eyes and this is causing my symptoms.

The cloudy area is on the outside of both eyes, outside, or to my right for the right eye and for the left eye, it's on my left hand side. To draw a picture of this:

cloudy -----> |EYE|  NOSE  |EYE| <----- cloudy

Is this what you mean when you say "If the cloud area of vision are in the same side"?

The cloudiness sometimes appears in the middle of the eye on either side, but this is not nearly as frequent as the outside.

Also, it seems that when it's happening in one eye, that it isn't happening in the other eye.
Correction  it should have read bilateral posterior vitreous detachment-not retinal detachment.

If this area of cloudy vision moves it is the vitreous.  With time it should get less.

Dr. O.
I never had any floaters in either side and am slightly far sided.

Always had perfect eyes until ~ 7 mo ago when I started noticing bad/stringy floaters in both eyes. About the same time I also got visual snow and other neurologic symptoms. The bulk of the floaters occurred over several weeks and have slowed down. Optomologist figured that it could be PVD in both eyes, but my case is admittedly complicated.
Most likely you are hyperopic.  Less of a chance of an RD compared to a myope.

F/u with your ophthalmologist.

Dr. O.
I have a very interesting theory.  I have webs and hairy strands ( a few dots) all through my field of vision in BOTH eyes.  I had botox  a few years ago that caused temporary ptosis in both eyes.  The next day I noticed a few floaters.  They did go away.  Then a year later I had botox again and had ptsosis which lasted a few weeks.  I had a few more webs but gradually they went away.  I asked my opth if there could be a relation between botox and floaters and he said absolutely not.  He said they use botox for certain eye conditions.  

So I had botox recently again which caused ptsosis for  a month and tons of webs in my whole field of vision within a few days after.  Went to opth and no sign of PVD or RD.  I believe it is from the botox in my forehead.  No other eye doc agrees.  I read the Botox website and they claim that a person reported glaucoma the day after botox with pressures of 50 in both eyes.  Someone also told me they knew someone with RD after Botox but haven't been able to confirm that report.  It is heresay.  What is your opinion on this?  It has caused me a LOT of anxiety in my life.  People say to ignore the floaters but it is hard when it affects my whole field of vision.  Will these go away?  
I would stop doing botox if I were you then.  Esp if you think it is causing you all these vision problems.  I would worry about my vision for now and not touch the botox anymore or for a while at least if I were you.  With all due respect, this is just my opinion.

Good luck and God bless.  
I have Pseudo xanthoma Elasticum and have received avastin shots in my right eye since jan 08... Aug 08 after the shot I have had a vitreous detachment.  Then 5 weeks ago my good eye did the same thing and now I have double vitreous detachments in both eyes... I was told by the eye doc that I saw that I would have this for at least 5 yrs or longer... I cant imagine this... lving this way.. When I am reading something it looks like paint dripping... I was told it is due to the detachment... any thoughts?? thank you
I have the same issue, but had three weeks in between the eyes.  It's been awhile now since you reported this problem with your eyes, any better?