Eye Care Community
Powerful poke in eye misshaping cornea?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Powerful poke in eye misshaping cornea?

I poked my eye on the 23rd of june. It was quite a forceful poke, a plastic object, not sharp, that I was bending forward, and not realizing how resilient it was in it's form, it sprung back with great force striking me straight in the eye.
The immediate effects were the typical redness, pain, urge to keep the eye closed, and watering of the eye. I rubbed the eye a bit but realizing it just made it hurt worse I stopped. The abrasion this caused was not severe, I could open the eye and see normally after just a few minutes, actually a tiny bit better than normal since my eye was so watery. The only thing difference in my vision was this very displaced blur-streak/astigmatism image of everything I saw that went far down and a bit to the left of my input image.
I woke up the next morning and this initial blur-streak was completely gone, but now my sight had become worse, because I now had a new astigmatism type image, which was placed above and a bit to the left of my normal input image. It's almost like a weak double vision, highly annoying and causing my vision in the right eye to be slightly impaired, as I cannot make out things as easily anymore. 5 days after the poke I went to the eyedoc since this astigmatism wasn't seeming to go away, plus I was experiencing some discomfort and strange sensation in my eye. The eyedoc could find absolutely nothing wrong with my eye, she said the cornea didn't have any scratches.
These last 2-3 days the pain and strange feeling in my eye has slowly declined, but the astigmatism is still there and just as annoying as always.

So my theory is that the forceful poke, well it was almost like a slap rather, which hit me below the pupil, pushed my cornea up a bit, mishaping it and causing this astigmatism. Does this sound plausible at all? If so would it revert back to it's old shape naturally?

Thank you
Tags: cornea, astigmatism, Pain, vision, poke, abrasion, doublevision
I'd like to add this image just to illustrate
http://www.arthursclipart.org/medical/senseorgans/astigmatism.gif
No your theory is not likely at all.  Think of grasping your ears and moving them forward with your fingers (gently) till they touch the skin in front of your ears then let them go. What happens? They spring back to their regular shape. That is what happens in corneal abrasions. Now suppose an arrow hit the back of your ear and did the same thing, it would cut and tear your ear and when it completed its path the ear would be structurally damaged, torn and would not return to its normal size, shape and would be greatly disfigured.

That is what kind of forces would be needed to permanenty damage your cornea. A corneal laceration, burn or other major trauma could do it but not a corneal abrasion alone.

See if you can see a corneal Eye MD physician ophthalmologist. Ask the Eye MD to look at your eye before drops are put in and ask if you have "recurrent corneal erosions".

JCH MD