Eye Care Community
Pressure behind eyes and heavy feeling.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Pressure behind eyes and heavy feeling.

In the past month I have been having horrible headaches. My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with glaucoma at age 18 and had to have surgery, so I am a little concerned about my own eyes as well after that scare. I haven't been to the eye doctor in over 10 years (I'm 19 yrs old) and I have no visual problems that I am aware of, but here lately, seems all of a sudden, I have been having horrible "headaches" almost every other day.  The only thing, which I've had ever since I can remember, is 2 small black dots in my left eye on the white part. Kind of looks like 2 poppyseeds. I never thought it was anything, you reallly have to look close up to even notice.

The pressure of the pain is behind my eyes, and smack in the middle of my forehead. It feels like the pain forces me to "squint". It comes on suddenly, but I very rarely have one on my days off just sitting at home.  It is ALWAYS accompanied with severe nausea (what feels like motion sickness, like I just got off a roller coaster).  I have never had anything like this before. I recently went off oral contraceptives in November 07, after taking them for about a year, and I don't know if that could have anything to do with it.  

Just today, I drove to work, I was fine, but about 3 hours into the day I could feel it coming on, so I took a Excedrin/Advil type medicine and it never seems to help.  It was mild for about an hour, then gets worse and worse. My eyes always feel heavy when I have one, like the feeling when you stay up really late and your eyes want you to go to bed ( but I have an adequate amount of sleep) and it hurts to even move my eyes to look at something next to me. When I got into my car and drove home, it got even worse (it always gets 1000 Xs worse when I get into a car). Also, I get sort of flushed and hot when I have these headaches. Light sensitivty also and sometimes my vision gets a slight bit blurry.  I drove home, got in the bed, layed down for 15 minutes and it was almost completely gone. They come on fast and go away fast.  Then later on this evening, I got on the computer just now, and the computer is slightly hurting my eyes, but not like before.  What in the world could this be? Could this be an eye problem, or someone suggested because of the extreme nausea/motion sickness an inner ear problem?
You need to see a Eye MD ophthalmologist AND a good GP or FP or internist or neurologist. You need a work up to find a diagnosis.

You can also find an Eye MD in the USA at www.aao.org

JCH III MD