Problems after posterior capsule rupture/cataract surgery
Just had the first of two cataract surgeries yesterday. Surgery took about an hour instead of the 15 minutes I'd been told, and was quite painful. Afterwards the doctor said that there was a posterior capsular rupture during the procedure, and that he changed the lens to a different multifocal lens than the one that he intended to use, and had, apparently, ended up placing it over the capsular sack instead of inside of it. Today my vision is completely blurry in the affected eye. I have no clarity at any distance (like looking through glasses smeared with Vaseline) and very pronounced rainbow haloing around lights. Needless to say, I am extremely worried and rapidly losing confidence in my surgeon. Just wondering if anyone has any observations.
This early after cataract surgery, you likely have some corneal edema (swelling in the cornea, or front clear part of the eye).  This should clear in time.  I would obtain another opinion from an experienced cataract surgeon in your area, before the second surgery.  Check AAO.org for a list of surgeons.
Its too soon. The rainbows could be caused by the multifocal, they could also be caused by your cornea swelling because you just  had an operation. You experienced a complication so you're probably not going to be 100% right after. If you're still the same in a week, or ten days, then you'll need to see your doctor, or A doctor if you don't like yours to find out if maybe the IOL power was miscalculated or there is some other solvabale issue causing your problems. Its way soon to panic.
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I actually just saw the doctor about an hour ago and he said that the IOL is out of place, and that he's going to have to go back in on Monday and attach the IOL with stitches to the iris, which sounds a bit terrifying, but he seemed to think it was about the only option.
How are you doing?  My doc wants to do a lens exchange because of my visual complaints since my cataract surgery (restor multifocal) 3/31/14.  He never mentioned any surgical problems but I did have post- surgical problems. Please see my posting dated 6/30/14 titled "EXPLANT - LENS EXCHANGE DILEMMA"  I would really appreciate your input. I am very concerned about the risk factors one of which is the capsule breaking.
From:  eyecry
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.