Eye Care Community
Progressive high (degenerative) myopia and double cateracts.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Hello, I am 30 years old and I recently found out from my eye doctor that I have Progressive high (degenerative) myopia and two different cateracts in my left eye and another cateract in my right eye. The second cateract in my left eye and the cateract in my right eye have developed since October. I am farsided in my right eye as well. My vision is serverly distorted and my depth perception is also distorted. I can not drive, see far away or close-up clearly. My doctor tells me that we need to wait until the cateracts are ready to come out to perform surgery or they could come back. So I guess my question is what can I do in the mean time? I was laid off last year for other health reasons and have not been able to find work because of my vision problems. Even if it is temporary can I recieve some sort of disability or assistance until can get my vision fixed? Or should I just take the chance and get the surgery done now?  
sI would recommend surgery if the cataracts are the cause of the problem.   See a retinal specialist first to make sure that the cataracts are the cause of the problem.

Dr. O.
Thank you very much.

I explained to my Opthamologist office that I would like to see a retina specialist first because I am considering having the cataract removal surgery. They in turn scheluded me to see one of their cataract specialist, is that good enough or should I find an actual retina specialist on my own. Insurance is an issue so who ever I see I may have to pay out of pocket, so I just want to make sure I am taking the right steps. Thank you.