Eye Care Community
Prolonged conjunctivitis, or is it??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Prolonged conjunctivitis, or is it??

I had bacterial conjunctivitis in early january, and had chloramphenicol for five days, which cleared it up pretty fast. A week later it came back, and it cleared up in a longer time, but my eyes have been slightly pink/red ever since. I went to my GP in late january and was prescribed fucithalmic drops, which had no effect, if anything they made the dryness and redness worse. I went to my optician in mid feb and he said my eyelids were dry, and that there was still some infection left, so he prescribed chloramphenicol again. It is now March, and I am fed up. My eyes are red every morning, they go pink if i wear eye makeup or go outside, and my eyelids are very red inside. I left them alone for a week and they cleared up a little, but still pink. I am now using chloramphenicol drops again, and they are still red and dry. No pain, no discharge, no watering, no itchiness, vision perfect, just dry and red. Do I have viral conjunctivitis? What is wrong with my eyes? It is two months now, any answers please?

I was a contact lens wearer,if that helps, but I havent worn any since last year. I always have good hygeien, if not surgical hygeine since conctracting the infection back in january. I have changed all makeup and anything that could irritate my eyes, however I do live in the centre of London, moving there last september for uni, which means I am exposed to mroe pollution.

Any help?

Chronic recurrent conjunctivitis is not that common and there are usuallly unrecoginized CHRONIC causes like dry eyes, blepharitis, eyelid abnormalities, tear duct problems, (in people that continue to wear contact lens that is the cause 99% of the time), GPC (giant papillary conjunctivitis), allergy to drugs or preservatives.

My suggest see a Eye MD that specializes in cornea/external disease. you need a tertiary referral specialist.

JCH MD
I work in eye clinic..ur problems sounds more like ur having dry eyes.try using artificial tears like TEARS NATURALLE PRESERVATIVES FREE or REFRESH/REFRESH PLUS..it helps to moisture ur eyes..hope it helps u..
-