Eye Care Expert Forum
Pseudoexfoliation Syndrome and Cataract Surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My aunt has pseduoexfoliation syndrome in one eye and is going to undergo cataract surgery.   The one eye does not have the syndrome and the cataract procedure was already performed successfully on that eye.    I understand that this syndrome is associated with serious complications and these can occur quite some time after the cataract surgery is performed.    My questions are:

1) What percentage of patients with pseudoexfoliation syndrome undergo complications within 10 years of cataract surgery?

2) What are the most common complications?

Should the patient with this syndrome seriously consider not having a cataract procedure done?
It's definitely not something that should stop her from having surgery.  I have done a few hundred pseudoexfoliation cases and they do very well.  They can tend to dilate less well and can have a tendancy for the capsule to contract down overly tight on the IOL after surgery so I find that a one piece acrylic IOL seems to do best and a large capsulorhexis is helpful, particularly with 3 piece silicone IOL's.  It's usually a good idea to dilate the eyes in the post-op period to make sure that the capsule is not contracting abnromally.  If the surgeon is skilled and experienced, the pseudoexfoliation should not present any issues for her to be concerned about.

MJK MD
What percentage of patients with this syndrome end up with complications after 10 years?
A related discussion, psedoxfoliation cataract was started.