Pterygium after salzmann nodule removal?
Several months ago, I noticed new blurriness in my right eye. I went to an optometrist, thinking I might need glasses/contacts. Instead, she told me I had developed a degeneration in both eyes that is genetic amd progressive. She suggested a re-evaluation in 6 months. I was too surprised to ask the questions I should have and left not really understanding what it was I had.

Of couse I couldn't wait 6 months, so I made an appointment with a cornea specialist who had done my lasik procedure back in the late 90s. He diagnosed bilateral Salzmann's nodules and suggested the blurriness in my right eye was astigmatism induced or worsened by the nodule's size and location. He removed the nodule from my right eye; we've not touched the left eye's nodule, although it's very visible, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

Now, about two months after the nodule removal, I'm noticing grittiness and occasional light sensitivity in the right eye. At first, I thought it was allergies, but looking at the eye in the mirror, I see a lot of veins in the white area leading to close to where the nodule was removed. It looks like there's some growth coming onto the iris from the white area of the eye. If I was to self-diagnose, I'd say it's a pterygium.

Is this a typical result of a node removal, or is it likely to be coincidental?
Is pterygium removal and recovery about like Salzmann nodule removal, or more difficult?
Has anyone else here had this experience? What did you do?
I am not a cornea specialist.  However, I do not believe a pterigium occurred after removal of a Salzmann's nodule.  Pterigia are usually in a horizontal location and Salzmann's nodules are superior.  Please return to your corneal specialist.

Dr. O.
The new growth is almost horizontal. The nodules on both eyes showed up at about 45 degrees above horizontal, on the nasal side of each eye. Maybe it's just some kind of scar tissue developing in the one eye.
A photo: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/imagearmo.jpg/