Eye Care Community
Ptosis and Graves

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Ptosis and Graves

Hello I am 64.  I had ptosis surgery about 15 years ago shortly before I was diagnosed with Graves.  I was very happy with the results.  I have no pressure on the eyes per opthal exams as recent as last year though earlier in the course of the disease I did have surgery for a related keratitis condtion in both eyes complete success.  In June I had an event following travel overseas where my eyes became extremely puffy and appeared edematous.  I put it down to a contact allergy though it could have been due to altered times for taking medication.  It went away.  About two months ago I notice that the ptosis had returned to the left eye that had been surgically treated.  About a month ago I noticed my eyelids becoming swollen again.  My eyes also seem to be sensitive to light recently (though I am on an experimental trial this past month for an unrelated condtion and, though this effect was not listed as a side effect, it is possible).  My questions are these:  How long is ptosis surgery supposed to last?  I read ptosis is related to normal aging but the two eyes are now dramatically different again.  Is the huge puffiness around my eyes better explained by allergy or by Graves.  Could sensitivity to light be related to these confluence of symptoms over the past several months?  Any other input would be helpful.  PS othr pertinent info rt eye vitreole detachment circa 18 m ago.  Well compensated by now.  I wanted to wait before calling for another opthal exam since it hasn't been a year but not if there is an emergent event.  What do you think?
Ptosis can recur.  However, in you situation an exam with an ophthalmologist is indicated.

Dr. O.