Eye Care Expert Forum
Ptygerium Removal

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Ptygerium Removal
I have a surgery schdeuled on October 17 at 1:00PM, but Dr. Shatz in Atlanta.  I have heard that there can be severe pain afterwards from this.  Is this true and how much recovery time from work should I plan?
It can be uncomfortable after pterygium surgery for about a week or more.  You probably will have  some irritation, sensitivity, light sensitivity, tearing, blurry vision that will gradually improve over a few weeks.   Severe pain is very unusual.  You might be able to return to work in 3-4-5 days depending on how you are doing.  These are just rough generalized numbers - could be much different with different patients or different surgeons.  Feel free to ask your surgeon - only he know how his patients typically recover and when he will let you  go back to work.  Are you getting a conjunctival autograft or amniotic membrane graft or Mitomycin C or other?  Just curious.
Michael Kutryb, MD
The doc has not informed me this much and frankly has not been honest at all about the pain, leading me to believe that I would be wearing a pacth for a day, but back to work the next.  Is this a surgery where pain mdeciation is a usual thing, or usually not offered?  I am a litte miffed at the doc for not telling me more as I cannot even answer your quetions.  It's neve too lake to change dods.
You should not need oral pain medication - except sometimes just for the first night to help you get to sleep might not be a bad idea.  You still might be able to go to work the next day - but depends what your job is - and how you feel.  You definitely won't be at 100%.    Regardless - you will have some irritation for a while.  Also - you may also have some persistant redness in the eye for 4 - 6 weeks or more as you heal, especially if you get a graft.
MJK MD
Well thanks doc.  Your first post had me a little worried.  The surgery is on Thursday, so I "might" ask for the rest of that week off.  I am already on a light pain med for Chronic pain in my Chostal region, so if needed I already have something a little stronger than APAP.

Maybe I'll show up for work with the patch on and they will make me go home....LOL..

Thanks for taking the time.