Eye Care Expert Forum
Pulling out eyelashes.

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Pulling out eyelashes.

Posted by RStephens on August 26, 1999 at 09:59:47
I am 35 years of age and have pulled out my eyelashes since I was about 11 or 12 years of age. I seem to pull only the center area of both eyes. I started pulling because of a dare by my brother (sounds pretty stupid I know) any way I am not shure why I continued throough my earlier years there had been times when they grew back but I pulled again. I have seen both eye doctors and skin doctors and have been pretty disillusioned and frustrated with the lack of thought or theory behind this. I have been researching heavily on my own and have looked at the following. I reviewed the disorder called (Trichotillomania) this could possibly be related to some extent, I reviewed information concerning eyelid issues (Blepharitis/Styes/Chalazion) which I feel is very related, I have read and understand all of these possibilities. now I would like to explain what I feel and see with hopes that maybe another opinion and solution for myself can be found.
The sensation explained for trichotillomania is farmiliar, I feel that the eyelashes that begin growing back are itchy and sore to the lid and pulling them out gives an incredible sensation of relief and calm. It feels as if the follicle area is swollen and irritated if I scratch at first it becomes more sore and the only relief is to pull....I also have been noticing that after pulling I am finding that the portion of the lash in the lid has a membrane around it that looks like a portion of the lining of the follicle creating thicker and more sore lash it is undescribable the relief felt after this it isnt sore and the lid feels better and I feel relieved, sometimes its subconcious and habitual to try and find the relief seems like a disorder I guess (trich). what can I do to fix this problem. My lashes still grow back and I have tried a drug from the dermatologist which did not agree with me at all. I have tried lid scrubs and steroid creams that made my eyes feel worst. I have styes occasionally. I had healthy beautyful lashes at one time and feel very stupid to have continued this for so long. I have been taking saint johns wort to help with the possibility of anxiety but it seems that there is something infested and extremely irritated concentrated around the follicles and lids, your valued input would be appreciated.
Thank you for you attention.
RSS

Posted by hfhs md - ni on August 28, 1999 at 00:57:46
I sympathize with your problem but unfortunately do not have any specific advice which can help.  You should continue to see your ophthalmologist to make sure there is no eye lid problem.