Eye Care Community
Pupil size constantly changes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pupil size constantly changes

Hi, All,

I'm a 50 year old male and have been having a strange problem for about a year now. From day to day, my pupils change in size from very, very tiny to about the size of a pin, to very, very large, encompassing about 3/4's of the coloured part of the eye. They'll be tiny, tiny dots for a day or two, and then be enlarged for a day or two. I do not change my diet, take drugs or other medications that would cause such condition. Also, brightness of light does not seem to matter. On the days my pupils turn into pinholes, I get serious headaches, get blurry and double vision, I am near-sighted and far-sighted at the same time, and cannot focus on printed words. On the days my pupils enlarge, my condition returns to normal. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing my condition? I have scoured the net and everything says such conditions are caused by drugs or medication. Not for me. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
711220_tn?1251894727
There are some neurological syndromes associated with pupil constriction and headache.  Toulosa-Hunt Syndrome, Cluster headaches, etc.  They are usually unilateral.  Please see a neuro-ophthalmolgist or a neurologist.

Dr. O.
Blank
Hi, Ray,

I'll look into it. Definitely bilateral, in my case. Two days ago they were as small as pins and I was having trouble seeing and focusing my vision. Yesterday the pupils were so big that they took up about 5/6s of the coloured part of my egg. I also had constipation for a week but three bowel movements before sleeping (dark brown stool with black clumps mixed in). This morning I woke up with restless leg syndrome, and looked in the mirror and once again my eyes are as tiny as pins. Maybe I should see a neurologist or neuro-ophthalmologist.

Kindly,

Sam
Blank
Sorry "egg" should have read "eye"...Thanks!
Blank
Hi, Ray and all,

I've been asked by MedHelp to choose the best answer. Unfortunately, my question hasn't been answered yet, probably as I have not given enough information. Well, today, I had both the pinhole pupils and flaming big pupils. I also had another week of no BMs followed by wicked runs all night last night (no special changes in my diet). Also, the past two weeks I've been following asleep through out the day. Every single day I've fallen asleep on the train, and the conductor comes and wakes me up. I fall asleep at work at the computer. I fell asleep during my daughter's graduating ceremony, and during my son's karate taikai. Each time it's the same: my neck suddenly goes limp and I'm out like lightening. Sometimes I even have lucid dreams within minutes. It is these times that my pupils are most constricted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam
Blank
Final details. I have:

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0602

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0604

Not sure if there is any connection here. Also, I have adenocarcinoma stage 1 (still contained within intestine wall), as well as colitis. Once again, not sure of any connections.

Any advice...I'm all ears.

Sam
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979