Eye Care Expert Forum
Puss coming out of eye?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Puss coming out of eye?
I'm sick right now my head hurts, my throat hurts, I have this white string stuff or puss like coming out of the corner of my eye, and my body hurts . I'm 12 years old my mom looked at it not knowing what to do.
More than likely related to the virus from which you are unfortunately suffering. The most common virus is one of the many strains of adenovirus which can cause pharyngoconjunctival fever: fever, malaise, soar throat and conjunctivitis (white pus with possibly some eye redness, puffiness and discomfort). It typically takes several days to recover and you definitely want to keep your hands clean so that you don't spread your communicable disease.
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.